need help on final decision on which intex ultra frame pool

Jul 9, 2013
New User...First time poster in this forum.. 1st time pool owner.....I have spent countless nights getting ready and researching to buy an AGP and with the Kid's Bdays right around the corner I figure there will never be a better time.

We will be out of our existing home in 3-4 years so I figured the intex pool system was a better choice over the Aluminum walled pools...easy to take down and setup.

Here is the background: I have a 5yr old and twin 2 yr old boys...needless to say they love swimming and with my daughter learning to swim this is a no brainer for our family. I am looking to stay within 1k for my overall expense out of pocket. Here are the two options I have found so far:
1. Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 48" : I am not found of the 48" height since there will always be one of us (mom/dad) with the kids at all times..I figure we can go a bit deeper.
http://www.target.com/p/intex-18-x-48-u ... intex+pool

2. Intex Ultra Frame 20' x 52": I know 4" is not much of a big deal but since there will always be an adult in there..might as well go a bit deeper.
http://www.target.com/p/intex-20ft-x-52 ... intex+pool

I am like most of the people in here looking to use a pump that can handle the large volume of water and can help keep things extra clean; also read enough on SW Systems that I am def want to go with this set up.

My decision is over depht; since my daughter is 43.5" tall she wont be able to stand on either pool and be ok...unless i leave the 48" height a little low and thus allowing her to stand...the boys will have to use a flotation device regardless...I figure in 3-4 years we will move to a larger home where we can get a more permanent AGP and have some deck around it...or if we are lucky we can even get an in-ground pool.

So, I am overthinking (or not thinking clearly) this by choosing the 52" height..? or should I opt for the 48" and leave it a bit low since my daughter wont grow (I hope) that much taller in the next 3-4 years..?..also the 20' to 18' difference is the same to me...I have a pretty flat spot on our back yard.

Financials:

the 48" hight pool comes with junk gear..so I was going to purchase the 2650 sand filter pump with Salt water system:
http://www.amazon.com/Intex-2650-Filter ... 7X45JKIDKM

the pool is 450.00 (target) and the system is 380.00 = total investment $ 830.00

the 52" height pool is a 20' wide pool so I gain 2' in comparison and that pool already comes with a sand filter..(1600 gallon) so I would only need to buy the SW system:
http://www.amazon.com/Intex-54605EG-Kry ... UZM93D557L
pool is $ 699.99 (target) and the SW system is $149.00 = total investment $ 848.00

** So in MOHO for 18.00 more I get a 52" depth and an extra 2' wide (again the kids concern here) ...seems worth it no..?*** Hoping that some of you with plenty of pool experience can guide me in my decision...

Also I am planning to hard plumb the pool and add an TTW skimmer...hoping to learn of all of the process here to do it all for day one...

Re: need help on final decision on which intex ultra frame p

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am not sure we have even seen a post where someone wished they got a smaller pool ... sounds like you have done some very good research.

What you appear to be missing is that 2' difference in diameter actually increases the area of the pool by almost 10% ... so is $18 worth gaining 10% area? I would certainly think so and the 1600 sand filter combo is certainly much better than the tiny cartridge setup.

Don't forget to have one of the Recommended Test Kits on hand before you fill :goodjob:

There is a ton of information about Intex pool here to help you do just about anything you can imagine.

a word of caution about that $1000 overall budget...

be sure to factor in the cost to level your yard. will you need to rent tools or bring in dirt? what about sand to put underneath you liner. pavers to put under the legs of your pool. pool sand for your filter. pool salt for your swg. a good testing kit. chlorine stabilizer. any other chemicals you may need to adjust the chemistry of the water. thru-wall skimmer. pvc pipe. vacuum. vacuum hose. telescoping net skimmer. pool toys.

you're going to need to buy a lot of stuff and it adds up quick.

as far as size goes, the 18 will definitely be big enough for a family of five. but if you have a lot of relatives or friends over you may want to go bigger. and another option to consider is walmart has the 22 foot for $629. it has comes with the 2500 (non-sand) filter.

Personally, I spent more on leveling than I did my pool lol

If you want a cost breakdown..

1. Sod Cutter Rental
2. 2x4 (mine was 8ft long)
3. 4ft Level
4. Gorilla Tape (2 to 3 rolls)
5. 3/4" Foam insulation ($18 per sheet and I used 8 sheets for 14ft Intex)
6. Heavy Duty Tarp
7. Shovels
8. Pavers (for under support legs)
9. Whatever you will use to landscape around it (I used 25 bags of rubber mulch)
10. TEST KIT
11. Vacuum and Hose
12. Skimmer and Pole
13. Bleach (I got 10 gallons liquid chlorinator at $3 a gallon)
14. Stabilizer (CYA)

I am sure I forgot sole but as you can see... The list grows lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that bigger is better but you have very young children. A smaller pool would be cheaper, easier. You could start with a 12' or 14' pool for under $300.00. These pools are almost disposable you could get a larger pool as your kids grow. Your 2 year olds would like the 15-30 pool. The 14-42 is deep enough for an adult to swim.

The 52" is the wall height, the water depth is only 46" and you can always not fill it completely. I got the 20' X 52" one and it is a great size. If I stand on my knees the water comes just up to my chin (I'm 6' tall).

I have three children twin eight year old boys and a 12 year old girl. The age spread is almost the same as your children. You need to decide if you are buying the pool for the children or for adults and children. You might be better off buying two pools. A big one and a very small pool for the 2 year olds. I would not want to have to be in the pool the whole time that my children are. The kids will want to be in the pool for hours. I like sitting next to the pool and reading the news paper.

The intex pools recommend 90% fill I believe. Our 14'x42" is filled to about 36", anything more than this and it ends up splashing over.

Ditto on budgeting for leveling costs. I got an "Easy Up", which gave us the taste for a pool, but quickly found that our ground was 4" off. So 400-500 later, it's level. I went with a 600lb tiller vs. a sod cutter, brought in 4 tons of rock and river sand, rented a gas compactor, etc, etc.....

I went for an ultra in the end, as the cost difference seemed worth it. My kids are 8, 3, and 5 months. My 3 yo has to be on her toes to walk around, so we'll probably drop the water 1-2".

1380ken said:
I have three children twin eight year old boys and a 12 year old girl. The age spread is almost the same as your children. You need to decide if you are buying the pool for the children or for adults and children. You might be better off buying two pools. A big one and a very small pool for the 2 year olds. I would not want to have to be in the pool the whole time that my children are. The kids will want to be in the pool for hours. I like sitting next to the pool and reading the news paper.
I second small pool for 2 year olds as well.

I don't second small pool for 2 year olds. She said they are going to be wearing floaties anyway so it doesn't matter if it's 10 feet deep for that matter.

I think this poster understands that there will be costs other than the initial cost of purchasing the pool. He/She obviously has researched. Get the bigger pool. Personally I'd get the 22 footer from Walmart as suggested above. I think 2 pools is just a crazy idea. 2 pools to maintain? No thank you.

My pool is a 13x22 feet by 52 inches (filled to 46 I guess). It's over my 5-year old daughter's head. When we are not in the pool with her she has to wear her floatie. She was in the same pool last year as well. Our previous pools were over her head. I wouldn't consider buying a pool just for our daughters and one for us. We consider this THEIR pool, which us parents sometimes use as well.

GC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I hate floaties, the 2 pool idea is nice if you have the budget and the time. My kids are 8 and 5, we had a 12'x36" last year and worked out great. This year, we moved to a slightly larger 14'x42". Since your smallest is 2 you can maybe get away with a 42" or a 48" and keep the water line low. Long as the water level is above the intake port. Depends on the height difference between the the 2 kids. It only takes seconds for kids to drown and can't trust the floatie/vests.

Floating around in floaties with no steps isn't much fun for kids that age. Now if by floates you mean the 1/2 lifejacket 1/2 floates all made out of a non-infaltable material, those make it a little better. By second pool for 2 year olds i'm talking like cheap blow up basically disposable pool that they can walk in and splash around play with toys etc. I'm not suggesting never taking them in the big pool, just sayin that's a lot of hands on "watching" the kids, and with limited things for them to do.

I have twin boys. You will need two adults in the pool to be really safe. If one swallows water or slips out of their floatation device someone still has to watch the other child while you are distracted. This guy is also a first time pool owner. A 20'-52" pool is a lot of pool to maintain.

Over their head or not they can still drown without a floatie. Children in the pool are supposed to be watched AT ALL TIMES floatie or not. And I would never put my child in an inflatable floatie. I don't trust them. A good comfortable floatation devce is safe. My girls have worn them since they were tots. No issues. I watch them like a hawk. When I am in, they don't wear a floatie and they love the depth so they can swim to the bottom. My 5 year old can swim the length and back in my pool - I'm convinced she would not have learned to do that if the water was not over her head.

This is the floatie she uses when we're not in the pool with her http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Puddle-Ju ... g+floaties

I trust it, but I don't leave poolside.

Yes children can drown if the water is not over their head but is much less likely. It is much easier to not drown if you are able to stand in the pool . A shallow pool for the two year olds is a temporary thing. The pools are so cheap that you can get a bigger pool every year or two. My kids can all swim well and the pool is still not over their heads, but I wish it was now. Next year if I can get up the money I may go for a more permanent pool with a deep end.

one more thing to consider, the height of the intex pools is to the top of the frame, not the water level. so if you have the 48 inch deep pool the actual water level might be 42 inches. if you fill a few inches below that your daughter will be able to stand. i think it will be safer and more fun for you guys to have at least one child that can stand.

Thank you all for your replies and insight. I do agree about the flotation devices for the 5yr olds...even when mom and dad are in the pool the boys wear life jackets with the back set up so it keeps them face up...regarding my 5 yr old yes she will wear the floats and I will fill the pool just enough for her to walk and will add water as she gets more comfortable with swimming. Also the side pool idea sounds cool..(30.00) small unit at target...for those times when we the parents are done in the big pool.

Also, we decided on the 20x52 I know is a big undertaking...the cost of the pool and materials were at 1000 even..so so far all good...now I will tackle the leveling of the yard...wish me luck..!!!!!

i just put up the 18 x 48 ultra frame. my wife and i foster a couple of children in addition to our 3 we have. this pool has been great for our family with a 9 and 10 year old, two 2 year olds, and one 4 year old along with the wife and I.

sometimes bigger isnt always better on pools. eventually we want the 26 x 52 but with small children and the great price i got on the 18 footer ($349.00 on walmart.com) it was the clear choice for our starter pool.

you are spot on with the pump and accessories, pure garbage. keep the skimmer net.... trash everything else. get the 2650 sandfilter and some pvc for hardplumbing. after you hardplumb though, keep the intex hoses and glue them together with some pvc. if you get sandfilter, you will have 2 more hoses which will give you 4 that you can make about a 20 foot backwash hose out of. its way cheaper than buying a backwash hose and with the intex fittings, it will screw right on your sandfilter, PLUS, you can do like i did and bury the hose, running it 20 feet into some nearby cedar trees for a really clean install and no messes when you backwash. :mrgreen:

also, the 18 does NOT come with a skimmer... not that it matters, the intex one sucks anyway. get a real skimmer like the hayward dyna skim skimmer and install it. dont worry about cutting liner, a child could install that skimmer, there was nothing to it.

for us, i dont regret starting with an 18. we will run this one 2 or 3 seasons then upgrade when kids are older.

plus, we are into this pool for right at $1,000 including a real pool vac, upgraded pump, hard plumb, some landscaping, and even led in pool lighting and around the pool solar lighting. this allowed us to get a really nice setup cheaply, and will give us time to consider a real ABG pool in a couple years if not a bigger intex....

also, we tried the 2nd pool for 2 year olds, spent 35 bucks on a wading pool with slide from walmart, soon as we started swimming in the big one, two year olds wouldnt touch the small one. go figure.... :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.