Test Kit arrived today!! Test Results are in.. Now what? lol

Jun 1, 2013
So I got my kit today and tested the pool. I started a new thread since my last post just got too scattered. Here are the results
FC - 2
CC - .5
TC - 2.5
TA - 90
CH- 300 (I did this test 3 times with different readings ranging from 400 the first time, 300 the second and 250 the third) So i'm going to go with around 300)
CYA - <20 black dot was still visible just not clearly
Cl - 1
Ph - 8.2
Br - 2

I just got done draining about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the pool and refilling and i've got a light green tint that wont allow me to see the bottom. I cleaned the cartridge filters while the pool was refilling and now it's full so I need to know what my first steps should be. I have some CYA, pH Down, and 3" tri-chlor tablets for the automatic feed but from what i've read the tabs will raise the CYA? I'm very interested in the BBB method and have started learning about it, but for now I need to focus on just getting some clear water. So can someone tell me what the best method to start would be?

Re: Test Kit arrived today!! Test Results are in.. Now what?

The very first thing is to lower the PH down to somewhere in the 7.5 to 7.8 range, towards the lower end of the range if you are going to shock.

Trichlor tablets will add chlorine and CYA as well as lowering the PH. If you are going to be using trichlor tablets, they will raise CYA, but not very quickly.

The cloudy water might be algae, which suggests a need to shock. Lower the PH first and see if that improves the water clarity at all (not likely but worth a shot).

Tabs are okay to use for now to raise your FC level since you are still pretty low on CYA, just keep track of how many you use and look up how many ppm of CYA they are adding for your size pool. You may need to do the shock process, so go get bleach and Muriatic Acid (not the 'safer' kind) for lowering your pH. Use the pH down for now until you get the Muriatic Acid. You will also need to pick up some CYA if you don't plan on using the pucks to add all the CYA you need.

So im guessing i should use the ph down (dry acid). Do i just dump it in the pool? According to the pool calculator i should 31oz of the dry acid. Should I go ahead and start putting in the tablets in the automatic feeder as well?

poolnovice23 said:
So im guessing i should use the ph down (dry acid). Do i just dump it in the pool? Predissolve it in a bucket of water and slowly pour the bucket in front of a return. If you just dump it in, any undissolved granules can cause staining/damage.

According to the pool calculator i should 31oz of the dry acid. I would only lower pH to 7.8 for now. If you use tablets to raise CYA, they will also drive your pH down for you.

Should I go ahead and start putting in the tablets in the automatic feeder as well? Yes, but keep track of how many you put in. You don't want to overshoot CYA or pH

ok so i've been working it a little. pump has been running all week. added the trichlor and dry acid. pool has cleared up a ton ( I can actually see the bottom and the water looks clear) did a full test today and here are the new numbers
FC - 5.5
CC - 1
TC - 6.5
TA - 70
CH - 220... i'm blaming user error because apparently my ch has gone down somehow.... we have had a good bit of rain lately not sure if that can change it
CYA - 20
CL - 5
Br - 10
pH - 7.3-7.4
So now that the water is cleared up and just need some brushing done to get some of the stubborn stuff off what should i do to get it ready for swimming again. When can I start cutting back on running the pump? and what should be my next steps for stabilizing and getting my numbers to be where they should be and be able to keep them there??? Thank you guys so much for getting me this far.

I am a little unclear. Have your read the SLAM process and followed it? Sure does not look like it: [slam:1lu4t3jc][/slam:1lu4t3jc]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.