My hair has turned green!

New to SWG this year. I'm following the information I have found on this site and my pool is mostly good. There is so much information on this site that I cannot find what I'm looking for. I seem to have a small problem with what I think is pollen collecting on the bottom of the pool. I keep cleaning and changing my filters and vacuuming and I am slowly getting ahead. My main question or problem is the bottom 6 inches of my hair have turned green! I have come across some information saying I should unplug the copper plates. Is this really the right thing to do?

:cheers:
16 x 48 intex pool
Krystal Clear Filter Pump
Krystal Clear Saltwater Sysyem

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Well, unplugging the bars is a start. Copper is what turns your hair green. Your SWG is adding copper. Copper can also be added in some algaecides (almost never recommended) and in some multi-purpose trichlor tablets.

The problem is at this point the copper is already in the water. To remove it, you would have to replace the water.

Go to a beauty supply house and they will have a shampoo and conditioner that will bring your hair back~ both its color and texture. My daughter went Kermit last year ~ copper via Pristine Blue. The shampoo & conditioner brought her right around. Just started using it again this season, every couple shampoos as she swims all the time and is out in the sun all day, it conditions nicely. Wasn't at all pricey & I am sure local salons carry the same stuff, beauty supply house just sells more of it for a cheaper price and when we started last year I though for sure I needed it in 55 gallon drums.

They have the copper bars to help keep algae away. Copper is a natural algaecide that is often found in products to keep algae away. When it comes in contact with chlorine it oxidizes and causes the green color.... that lighter colors of hair will then pick up.

MrsD said:
Why do they have copper bars?
It may have a lot to do with the misunderstood chlorine/cya relationship by industry. Intex calls out in their manual cya levels: 10 ppm minimum, 30-50 ppm ideal, 100 ppm maximum. If you maintained your cya at 30-50 and if you pool is larger and get's a lot of sun, the intex swg will never keep up, so some supplemental protection comes in, cue the copper as an algaecide. Additionally, in ~2010, intex reduced the output of their cell by 1/2 at the same time they added the copper bars, exasperating the low cya causing low chlorine in the pool so the copper might also be there to help offset this a little in larger pools (they now make some much bigger pools then they used too). However, the intex is quite able to keep up with with decent volume pools (mine is about 11000 with copper bars disconnected) and the highest run time I have needed is 8 hours, but of course I keep my cya level somewhere in the 65-80 ppm range.

Thank you for all the reply's. I am going to try ketchup in my hair, I read that a few other places also. If that doesn't work I will try something from a salon. I tried washing my hair with baking soda and rinsed with apple cider vinegar and that helped a bit, but not enough. Thanks for the copper bars 101 from "linen". Wish I had known about this sooner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MrsD said:
Thank you for all the reply's. I am going to try ketchup in my hair, I read that a few other places also. If that doesn't work I will try something from a salon. I tried washing my hair with baking soda and rinsed with apple cider vinegar and that helped a bit, but not enough. Thanks for the copper bars 101 from "linen". Wish I had known about this sooner.
Why use ketchup when you can use something that will remove the green and protect the hair, etc. Nexxus Aloe Rid, Walmart has it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.