Need grading advice for an above ground pool!

Jun 9, 2013
NC
I need help figuring out a grading situation. So we just bought a used 33x15 oval AGP and are doing everything ourselves, minus the initial grading of the spot. We had the grading done the other day and ended up running into septic pipes, so we had to move the pool over about 10 feet from where we originally wanted the edge to be, and also build up the spot a few inches with recycled (crushed/crumbled) concrete/asphalt stuff. Yesterday we spent the day leveling the side supports and starting to spread the sand out. I've attached pictures of our progress. We have a little situation we're not sure what to do about. On one side of the pool where we originally started digging and hit the septic pipes, we have a mess. Due to the level of our yard, we had dug down over 2 feet on that side - but like i said - then ended up shifting the whole spot over about 10 feet or so. We had a downpour today and the spot where we originally starting digging was just filling up with water. Some of the water was escaping and going downhill (see the arrow in the picture) but a lot of it collected and pooled as you can see. We havnt done anything with that side yet because we're not sure what the best thing to do would be. We've thought maybe do a retaining wall, maybe grade a corner of the hole so it empties downhill, etc. We're really not sure the best thing to do, and neither did the guy who graded the spot for us. We started to backfill the area but the stuff was so wet that he had taken out (from the rain) that we stopped and determined that we should maybe bring in some drier stuff. We are going to be putting a french drain around the pool, but obviously we also need to do something with that dug out section. We're trying to not spend a fortune (or else we would have started with a new pool and someone to do all the work!) but I know we need to do it right or else we'll be redoing it down the road. Does anyone have any advice?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 73
Personally, it looks like there is not enough room on the ledge (low end) for the pool to sit on that low end. If you used crusher rock from a stone company, you should have at least 2 ft of crusher that extends past the pool wall and it just doesn't look like there is enough to carry the load of that wall and weight once filled.

Please attach pics of the low side of the pool, tell us how high you built that side up and how many inches it is currently from the pool wall/track.

So, in the picture where you can see all the supports, on the low end theres definitely not 2 feet of the crusher rock stuff beyond the supports. It might be close to 2 feet of crusher beyond the wall. But the supports themselves probably stick out a foot and a half past the wall, since they are the larger oval-pool supports. After we got the supports to where they needed to go in order to fit in the graded spot, it just ended up being a little short on that end to where the edge of the supports didnt quite get covered all the way with the ground being level behind it (it sloped down some). My thought was to bring in more of the crusher rock later (before we fill it) to get it closer to that 2-foot spec. Do you think we should have done that before we put the supports down, or does it really matter?

If it were me, I would bring the high side down to match/ become level with the lower side. A pool is just too much water and weight to take short cuts with. The leveling process is absolutely vital to everyone's safety.

I know our pool got cut into a pretty steep grade. We cut in from low side over. Yes it was a pain in the backside, cost a bit more & took a bit more time, but the peace of mind of knowing I don't ever have to worry about a side blowing out because we took shortcuts as it relates to leveling is invaluable. I also installed a french drain and personally hauled and offloaded 10 ton of river rock. Needless to say this 43 year old broad was tired after all of that, but it was time well spent.

I am sure people here have dealt with problems just like what you are facing, so wait to hear what they offer up before continuing on. This is the one part of the whole process you want to make sure is done to the very best of your ability.

Good Luck & I am sure folks will continue to offer invaluable information that will allow you to proceed correctly and safely.

Our original plan was to bring the high side down to match & be level with the low side. But when we started digging and found the septic lines sooner than we thought, we had no choice but to move the pool over 10 feet (and no way it was going further than that) and to build up with a few inches of the crushed asphalt stuff on the high end to get it far enough above the septic line, and probably a foot or so of it on the low end. The main septic pipe goes under the high end, so digging any deeper wasnt an option because we would have hit the pipe. Even if the pool was sitting right on top of the pipe, we still would have had to build the low end up a little. So we built up. If we could do it all over, we would have gotten a smaller pool to fit the space better. But we had already spent 5 days between taking the pool and deck down, so we're too committed now to back out. :) So trying to do it the best that we can.

You will absolutely have to build that side up more a grade that side! You also have to put dirt on that slope of crusher and plant grass because weather will slurry that crusher and it will start sliding and giving way. Think of it as a pile of dirt naturally eroding away. You have the right idea, YOU JUST NEED MORE CRUSHER ON THE LOW SIDE!!! It needs to be 2 ft minimum from the wall and gradually sloped with back fill and grass planted on that slope to keep the rain from eroding it and giving out.

You can fill the hole in with topsoil. It looks like you have a drainage problem around the pool. You want water to drain away from the pool. After the pool is up get yourself some screenings from a quarry the stuff is cheap, build it up around the outside of the pool with the screenings to keep the water running away from the pool. You can hand tamp the screenings they will pack hard.

The main 4" septic line (that goes to the septic tank) goes under one edge of the pool. I would guess 2 feet under the soil. Plus we built up with several inches of the crusher rock stuff as a base on top of the dirt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some AG pools can have the fill dirt come up the side wall of the pool. How much is dependent on the manufacturer and the pool model. If you can do that you could back fill up the wall and then create a saddle area for the water to drain away from the pool and away from the house and direct the drainage into the a yard.

It looks like you would only need to come up the wall about a foot, if my eyes judge correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.