Adding Bleach?

Jul 7, 2013
I could only find a the basic pool test (tests the total chlorine and pH)...no other ones in town here so I need to order. I need some help since the pool calculator has a bunch of other data I don't have. Total chlorine was 2.0 and pH was 8.0

What do I need to add for bleach and other to balance?

Thanks in advance

Aileen

10' x 30" summer escape vinyl pool, 1500 gallons, filter

Welcome to TFP!

We can't really give you any advice on bleach until we know your CYA level. Since you don't have a test yet you can take a sample in to a pool store and get it tested. The results probably won't be the most accurate, especially the CYA one, but it will give you an idea and give you a reference to go by. Have you ever used pucks to chlorinate? If so then 2 TC probably is a bit low, but without more info it is really just a guess.

What I can say is that your pH needs lowered. You can get muriatic acid from most big box stores in the paint aisle, or dry acid from the pool aisle (usually called pH down). Both will work but muriatic acid is much more bang for the buck. Use the pool calculator to figure out how much to add to get your pH down to 7.5.

If you can get and post the test results you will get much more specific suggestions. If you can, also post the pool store recommendations (but make sure not to act on them). Some of us enjoy a good laugh at the stuff they try to convince you are "absolutely necessary" for your pool.

What type of basic test? Does it turn yellow or pink when you test?

If it turns yellow then there are some estimates you can make until you get the right test without the FAS-DPD test you can't actually get the precise results needed.

Sent via Tapatalk...

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Where are you located? You could likely have a TF100 easily before the weekend ... but your pool is small, so in reality, you could likely get by with a much smaller kit and just dump the water if things go bad. Another option is the 6-way HTH from Walmart mentioned at the bottom of the Recommended Test Kits page.

You could tell us what you have used for chlorine to this point. Or is this a new fill?

Have you read Pool School? Specifically: pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

It's a new fill 2 days ago. Based on the pool calculator I added 6 oz of bleach so far. The test I have is a basic with yellow for the cholorine and pink/purple for the pH. Walmart was out of test kits as is every other place I tried in town, hence I bought the only one I found which was a basic as i figure it was a start atleast. I don't want to have to dump the pool if possible.

Read the link I provided and start that process. You need to get some CYA in the pool and following that process is an easy way to get a pretty good start without the benefit of a good test kit.

The good news is that at your level of CYA and without a need to shock yet, you can get reasonably started without too much error.

You still need a good kit to fully manage this pool but that won't keep you from starting - order the kit ASAP however.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dave, I suspect it is "started" and "too much", you have to love auto correct

I just wanted to follow up with a fresh fill there will be no CYA in the water, keep track of what you add, just use a measured amount of CYA Stabilizer for your initial dose and don't use any dry chlorine products that may also contain CYA (trichlor or dichlor) and you should be ok.

Ike

ps read the pool school link in the upper right

Isaac-1 said:
Dave, I suspect it is "started" and "too much", you have to love auto correct

I just wanted to follow up with a fresh fill there will be no CYA in the water, keep track of what you add, just use a measured amount of CYA Stabilizer for your initial dose and don't use any dry chlorine products that may also contain CYA (trichlor or dichlor) and you should be ok.

Ike

ps read the pool school link in the upper right
Yes. Sleepy with autocorrect is a bad combo.

- Sent using Tapatalk

I finally found some tests strips....not ideal but I was excited to have something. Here's what I have:

Total Hardness:100
Total Chlorine: 0
Free Chlorine0
pH: 6.8
Total Alkalinity: 40
Cyanuric Acid: 0

I know I need to Add more Bleach and the calculator told me: 12oz. I also see I should add 14oz of Borax and 14 oz of baking soda. The rest of the things I get confused by what I should use. What do I use for Washing Soda? I have not found any in the stores here.

You posted this a week ago.
averaworker said:
The closest pool store is 100 miles away unfortunately. What can I do until I get a better test kit from online?
You should have had the GOOD test kit ordered and in possession by now.

Test strips are not worth the paper they are on and giving recommendations based on test strips results is not a good idea since they are so unreliable.

Order one of the Recommended Test Kits before you lose another week.

If you choose to believe the test strips, you need to raise the pH with borax (or washing soda might be better because it will bump up your TA some) and may need to raise the TA with some baking soda. And you need to get the CYA up to at least 30ppm using cyanuric acid (stabilizer) and you need to be maintain some FC with bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.