Woodland, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
We are renovating my Grandfather's 1958 20' x 45' swimming pool. We got everything working. After a year losing the great algae war of 2012, we have been victorious in 2013 and the pool has been crystal clear after following the procedures outlined on this site. Thanks to all...

So, the last major issue is the tile. It has been cracking for some tiem and needs to be replaced. First of all, I think it cracking because the concrete deck is attached to the pool walls via rebar (I strongly suspect). So when some of the concrete deck slabs sink it causes cracking in the top of the pool where the tile is... My plan was to run a concrete saw where the deck meets the pool to eliminate this pressure. I may have to address soem issues with the sinking deck slabs... But that is another matter. I think this will eliminate the pool damage, which is more important. Thoughts?

So once this is done should I... 1) Replace the tile with similar tile so the pool is as it was? or 2) update it with something better. Are there designs that would make more sense and improve maintenance, looks and or safety?

Thanks for any replies! I know this will be a murderously tedious job...

Attachments

• Grandpa\'s Pool - 7.1.13.JPG
    Grandpa\'s Pool - 7.1.13.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Pool Tile Issues - 7.1.13.jpg
    Pool Tile Issues - 7.1.13.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 135
I think separating the pool from the deck is a good idea...better late than never. Do you have any way of knowing how thick the pool wall is? you'd want to cut it on the outside of that line, then have your coping cover the entire top of the pool wall and butt up to the deck.

My pool is separated from the deck somewhat. If you look at this picture, you can see where the deck and the pool coping have a gap. We've filled that gap with mastic since this picture. Pools (or decks, or both) aren't going to be in the same place they were when they were built!

pool1.jpg

We also had the missing grout replaced... it looks GREAT now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.