Tested and Ready to Start Clearing the Green!

Ok all....My husband and I posted about 2 weeks ago looking for some help. We got some great clarification and advice, and we knew we'd be going away to NY for a week for various obligations and now that we're back, I'm ready to tackle this green murky pool and get a sparkling blue!!

My dad heard about our pool troubles and got me the Leslie Complete poolcare DPD test kit as a little surprise when I arrived in NY..(one of the three tests recommended on this site; wasn't the TF one everyone loves but it was purchased for me and I figured I should take what I could get for now!) So now I have what I need to continue testing the water as I start the shock process...

Anyway. I went into the pool store earlier today to pick up some pool type toys with a coupon I had. Figured while I was there, I'd have them test the water and get their "recommendations" so I can let you all know what they are saying, and I'm interested to hear what you all say about it! Here are the levels they gave us. Our chlorine is zero, which I was expecting, because even though we have a chlorine dispenser thing we must have neglected to put enough tablets in, or maybe have it set too high, since it was empty when we arrived back from NY. Either way, we knew we'd be starting "from scratch," so, here we go.

FC: 0
TC: 0
ph: 7.4
TA: 50
CYA: 45
CH: 110

They also have a category "phosphates" which says zero next to it. So here's what the guy recommended: 1st, broadcast 12 pounds of "alkalinity up" with pump running. Wait 4 hours, then mix 1 bottle of "algae control" (not sure what chemical they mean, it is clearly just a product name they want me to buy), then 15 minutes later broadcast 4 pounds of "power powder" which I guess is what they call their "shock". After I broadcast that in, I am told to brush the sides and bottom of the pool. I promised myself I would barely even speak to whoever helped me out of fear they'd rope me into buying things...but I'm a nice person, the guy was very personable and throughout our conversation he mentioned how some people just throw bleach into their pool and how that's "SO BAD" for your pool. :roll: I simply nodded and knew I'd come here to ask for the advice I trust!

So....here I am for your help! Looking at those numbers above (and my pool "stats" in my signature), any words of wisdom on how to proceed? I've read and understand the "shock process" on this site, just looking for those friendly tips I've come to read on other people's posts on this site and seeing if there's something else I should know or do in addition to that process... I'm looking to buy the BBB materials I need tonight and start this tomorrow.

Just some more information that might help or change any advice - I'm in Charlotte where it has rained, and is supposed to continue, serious thunderstorms for about 2.5-3 weeks straight. Not sure how this affects the ongoing shock process! Also, we recently did a more deeper cleaning of our sand filter, got the hose in there and ran it until all the little debris was gone and ran clear. Nothing bigger than the size of a nickel came out in terms of debris, all tiny little things so I'm hoping that means our sand/filter is running smoothly. We bought the house back in February, I've emailed the sellers to ask if they have an idea when the sand was changed last. Waiting on that info!

Thanks for any help with how to proceed from here...I'll be looking at the pool calculator and I'm ready to start the shock process if that's all I need to do...figured I'd see what you all thought before rolling up my sleeves! :-D

HI Weilerfamily!. Here's to a quick recovery on your pool!. I started the first of June. and I think I'm just about sparkling .. just a bit of a haze in deep end. : ) Long process.. so hope your's goes quicker! By the way.. my brother lives in Concord.. I love that area!.

wmorge said:
HI Weilerfamily!. Here's to a quick recovery on your pool!. I started the first of June. and I think I'm just about sparkling .. just a bit of a haze in deep end. : ) Long process.. so hope your's goes quicker! By the way.. my brother lives in Concord.. I love that area!.

Hey there! Wow...a whole month...I'm scared! I too hope it goes quicker for me, otherwise I'll feel like I wasted lots of time and money and energy for a pool I can swim in only a couple of weeks...Well maybe we will just keep it open longer and my husband can get some use of it in those last few weeks even as if gets a little cooler outside!!

I'm just anxious about it in general. I'm almost ready to just close it up and start fresh next summer!!! :( :|

I lost control of mine last July and closed it green.. 80 gals of 10% but it's looking great! One tip that I must give that I learned the hard way..pour the bleach slowly in front of a return and alternate returns.. : / I have bleached out a few spots on my liner because I poured quickly as I walked around the pool.. BEST OF LUCK!!

Hey there!

Power Powder is Cal Hypo, and will add calcium to your pool, which you do not need.
Alkalinity Up, is a complete waste of money. You are just fine at pH of 7.4.
You don't need the algae control.
You don't need to change the sand, it does not wear out.

So, so far we've saved you a lot of money! :)

What kind of test kit do you have? You are going to need a TF-100, K-2006, or at minimum the FAS/DPD test from tftestkits.net. You will need to be able to measure high FC levels and you will need to maintain them.

Follow the shock process. Use http://poolcalculator.com to know how much to add to get your pool a few points above the recommended shock level.

Whatever work you do now will pay off next summer. A clear pool this year makes next year a whole lot easier!

Before you use your test kit (if possible) confirm that you do NOT have this kit

81325.jpg

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 81325.html

and DO have this kit

81329.jpg

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Water-Testing/Test-Kits/81329.html

The biggest difference is this:
81331.jpg

You need the FAS-DPD test not the DPD test. If you have the first kit, I would order the kit from TFTest

RobbieH said:
Hey there!

Power Powder is Cal Hypo, and will add calcium to your pool, which you do not need.
Alkalinity Up, is a complete waste of money. You are just fine at pH of 7.4.
You don't need the algae control.
You don't need to change the sand, it does not wear out.

So, so far we've saved you a lot of money! :)

What kind of test kit do you have? You are going to need a TF-100, K-2006, or at minimum the FAS/DPD test from tftestkits.net. You will need to be able to measure high FC levels and you will need to maintain them.

Follow the shock process. Use http://poolcalculator.com to know how much to add to get your pool a few points above the recommended shock level.

Whatever work you do now will pay off next summer. A clear pool this year makes next year a whole lot easier!

Thanks for the help! Glad to save money, and I figured all those chemicals he suggested wouldn't be needed. :-D The kit I have is this one http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 81330.html and now I'm thinking I must not have what I need in order to do the shock process because I won't be able to test at high FC levels, correct? Anything I can buy to supplement this kit in order to complete the shock process? This kit should be ok once I've gotten it down to my "normal" levels, right?

So I put the following numbers into the pool calculator as my "targets" based on what I've read in various locations on this site. I'd love to know if I'm doing this correctly!

Currently at:
pH: 7.4

Want to be at (for shocking process)
FC: 39+

uhhh ok now I'm stuck, haha! What are my other targets?

techguy said:
Before you use your test kit (if possible) confirm that you do NOT have this kit

81325.jpg

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 81325.html

and DO have this kit

81329.jpg

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Water-Testing/Test-Kits/81329.html

The biggest difference is this:
81331.jpg

You need the FAS-DPD test not the DPD test. If you have the first kit, I would order the kit from TFTest

Sigh.....looks like I have the first and not the second. Any way I can just supplement by buying that "biggest difference" on it's own? Is that what you mean by buying from TFTest? Not sure I'll be able to return this one since it was purchased for me.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I made the same mistake when I first moved in this house and took over my very first pool. Solved it by ordering this:
http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html
Now I get all my stuff from Dave.

You could supplement what you have, but if they will take that back, the TF-100 is NICE. Much nicer setup than the blue box + cardboard box I use. A good friend got the TF-100 on my recommendation and I have to say it was well thought out.

I would guess the easier exchange would be the Leslie DPD being returned for the Leslie FAS_DPD based kit. This way they still get to keep their money. Makes for an easier yes for them. If you opened only one chemical, they could trade the "open" one for the non-open one in the kit. Leslies has "commercial" stores that seem to have these in stock.

Please Please get this pool under control NOW! Don't make us wait until next year to see awesome pictures! We need our 'swamp to sparkle' fix and we need it NOW!

When we open our pool, it looks as good as the day we closed it.

Good luck and stick with it. You will be glad you did.

The easy way around knowledgeable LPS employees is to know more than they do about their own product. If you use "item numbers" they can look it up in the computer and then pretend to know what the ### they are talking about.

Try this: "I ordered Item #81329 but got an Item #81325. Can we just exchange it? I see there is a cost difference, I could just buy some pool toys with the difference"

Thanks everyone for the tips! I'll either try to return it or supplement with what RobbieH wrote down.

So a final question - once I have the FAS-DPD and I'm able to test for high FC levels/start the shocking process, I'll use poolcalculator to let me know how much bleach to put in....am I keeping all my other numbers the same as "targets?" I'll post the current stats again (I'll test again before starting process since I have to wait now for the new addition to my kit...), can you all help me determine what I put into the poolcalculator as my target levels for each?

Thanks all!!!

As of this morning numbers looked like this:

Currently at:
pH: 7.4

So based on CYA, my target FC would be between 16 and 20, based on the chart I found here on the site...correct? (Posted earlier 39+, whoops! Looking at the wrong thing :lol: )

Appreciate any help determining all of those target levels!

8corneflakes said:
Please Please get this pool under control NOW! Don't make us wait until next year to see awesome pictures! We need our 'swamp to sparkle' fix and we need it NOW!

When we open our pool, it looks as good as the day we closed it.

Good luck and stick with it. You will be glad you did.

Hahah thanks for the encouragement!!! I will be sure to post some befores and afters on this thread as I get this process going, give you guys your fix! :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.