how to REMOVE iron from pool

May 13, 2013
OK I'm new to pool water maintainence and need some help from the experts. Here's the story: first year with a pool18x36 iunground. Filled it with my well water which has iron, pool went to tea brown within 10 minutes. Couldn't see anything. Had it tested came back positive for iron which I knew it would. Anyways I put some metal out sequestering stuff in the pool and two days later the pool was clear with a lot of precipitates on the bottom whish I vaccumed out. Swam in the pool this past weekend and had the water tested. This time the test said no iron and so i added two more bottles of shock and the pool turned brown again albeit a lighter shade of brown this time (can still see through the water whereas the first time you couldn't) so my question is how do I remove all the iron so I don't have to keep spending money on metal remover everytime I shock the pool?

It is generally not possible to REMOVE the metal without pumping it out and replacing it with metal-free water. You must continue to add a sequestrant and replenish it at regular intervals.

BTW, you should not be needing to "shock the pool" if you are maintaining adequate chlorine as we recommend.

pool-school/metal%20stains

Short answer - you can't

Since you have iron in the pool and your source of water is iron laden, that problem will plague you as long as you have your pool.

Do you have a household water softener?

It (the water softener) will not have the capacity to fill your pool in one shot but it could provide your refill water and eventually your pool will be iron free.

If you needed it to be iron free right now, you could drain the pool, truck in water, then refill with your softened water.

my water comes out orange.. eventually the water should clear up, you'll find the iron seems to settle like a powder on the bottom.. (at least thats what I think it is) the filter doesnt catch it, so I vacuum to waste after a good rain fall.. and loose a good bit of it.. I find after the first good fill the tea/coca color doesnt come back. once it clears up.

In our area we have pool water delivery services that fill pools, but several of our fire companies will for a fixed rate & some will "for donation" ~ the donation being what someone can afford. Prices are all over the board depending on who you call. My neighbor got her 24' AGP filled for $90.00 delivered. They brought it 20 minutes after she placed the call ~ we were floored at the price and how quickly they brought it. That's a heck of a deal and you will most likely have more than out in sequestering agent for the season.

Not sure if you have possibly checked locally with your fire companies. That could possibly be an option for you.

If you know someone in construction / landscaping ~ they could have access to water hauling trucks and nice water at a very economical price.

Just putting that out there for consideration on the chance you haven't thought about those options.

Be aware that if you go with the local fire dept, you may get pond water unless you have a nearby hydrant. I looked into this when I filled mine (no nearby hydrants) and the trucks only carry 1000 gallons pumped from the nearest pond, and would have required 8 trips to fill mine. Then I would have been faced with an immediate shock process to clear the water. It only took 17 hours to fill mine with two garden hoses. Unfortunately even the municipal water is chock full of iron. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.