Using bleach increases salt

cwuffman

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
Have been on TFP & BBB method for over a year now and it has gone as advertised: Trouble Free.

My question has to do with the increase of salt using bleach. The pool calculator says each gallon of 10% bleach in my 29K gallon pool increases salt by 5.7 (ppm?). I am guessing salt doesn't dissipate so how much is too much in my plaster pool?

It would take you forever to have as much salt in your plaster pool as I have in my plaster pool. You'll lose it fast enough from splash out and such that it is extremely unlikely that it would buildup to the point of the concentration required for a salt water chlorine generator.

I am sitting right at 3500, and have been as high as 4500.

All forms of chlorine add salt, though at slightly different rates.

If you winterize, or backwash frequently, the salt level will go up to somewhere around roughly 1000 to 2000 and settle there. If you neither winterize or backwash it can get higher. The highest I ever saw salt from chlorine additions alone was just under 3000.

The worst case is people with a water softener, who experience a lot of evaporation, and neither backwash or winterize. Their salt level can get high enough to be an actual problem. Water softeners replace calcium with salt. With higher CH levels they can end up adding a lot of salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.