17-18 psi is lowest I get on my setup?

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
After backwashing until the sight bubble is clear (5 mins?), and I use the skimmer, I get 17-18 psi. It'll run for days and only go up 2-3 psi. I just want to make sure that sounds about right, or if I have a problem. It's a year old 1/2hp whisperflow. If I switch it to bottom drain, I get 16psi, and with a mix of both it goes up to 19 psi.

The guy who repaired my pool heater commented on the 1/2hp being very small for a 17k gallon pool that it should be a 3/4 or more. Is there an issue with a 1/2hp pump?

Clean filter pressures vary dramatically from pool to pool, depending on many details of your setup. 17-18 is well inside the normal range and thus very plausible, but we have no way of knowing if that is really normal for your pool or not.

zimm said:
vinper said:
your return jets must have really good pressure?

Not really, just blows normal to me. Isn't the pressure gauge showing the pressure before the filter, not after?

Correct. Really "normal" can be anything between a couple psi and 30psi (although generally not this high) ... just depends on all the equipment (pump and filter sizes, heaters, etc) and the plumbing (size and length).

Does you gauge to to zero when the pump is off?

By the way, if you do not have any high volume water features that need higher flow rates, a 1/2 hp whisperflo pump is likely a good size.

What size is your sand filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.