Wanda the Whale

Jul 8, 2013
I recently purchased "Wanda the Whale" pool vacuum. Well....upon receiving it I came to find out it was not compatible with my 18x48 intex pool because I do not have a skimmer. My pool is run with the intex 2500 sand filter. If I buy the hanging wall skimmer made by intex, will it work with my wanda??? please help :(

Well I use that skimmer on my Intex 18x48 Ultra and it will not stay clamped and others have the same problem. It comes lose and floats to the surface disrupting the pump, so I would say no due to the movement of the hose even if it will attach to a skimmer adapter to fit that skimmer. I'm going with a thru wall as soon as I get brave enough to cut my pool. It looks like a thru wall skimmer is the way to go for both surface debris and vacuuming the pool. The upgrades are never ending. :-D

I was able to use mine with my non-skimmer intex. I had a blue vacuum attachment that screwed onto the filter intake & the hose fit over that attachment. My intex was bought in 2009, though, not sure if they still have that screw-on attachment on the filter intake.

dangela44 said:
I was able to use mine with my non-skimmer intex. I had a blue vacuum attachment that screwed onto the filter intake & the hose fit over that attachment. My intex was bought in 2009, though, not sure if they still have that screw-on attachment on the filter intake.

If you have one of those blue hose barbs that screws onto Intex fittings, you may need to do some modification of the newer Intex Ultra Frame fittings, which have a molded-on screen covering the smaller-diameter threads it would otherwise screw onto. That's what I had to do.

If you have the large Intex sand filter, the intake screen screws off, you can probably just stick the hose right in the hole that is exposed when the screen is removed. (at least this is true of the newer fitting that came with my sand filter)

DianeF1 said:
We do the same as PridgNYC. Remove the in pool intake cover or skimmer connector (which ever you have on) so that there is a hole. Put the vac adapter on the end of the hose and stick it in the hole. Wanda will take off.

I don't actually do that since I replaced the Intex intake with the Hayward skimmer, but I did compare the intakes that came with the 1600 gph sand filter that came with the pool and the 2650 gph sand filter that I installed and noticed that the 2650 comes with an intake with a removable screen and the 1600 comes with an intake with a non-removable screen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.