Brave new pool owner

mrethers

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2013
Orlando, FL
Hi folks,

I just found out about this website and donated right away, this is the best thing that ever happened to pool owners. I've been trying to get my pool sorted out for years but pool stores are not helping so back to basics :) Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to give advice of my own...

Anyway here is my first question: how to I get started the right way?

I spent a lot of time going over the articles in the pool school so I think I know what to do but need some feedback. First, I'll start with quick background. Just bought a foreclosed house with a 36x16 in-ground pebble pool in pretty bad shape at first glance. Drained it, acid wash the 2 years of calcium scale and... tada! Beautiful pool now, being filled back up as we speak. Some specs: pebble finish, in-floor cleaner jets, Hayward DE Pro-Grid 3620 filter, Hayward gas heater (not sure it works though), broken in-line tablet chlorinator, spa with overflow in pool, vari-flo vavle.

I'm filling up the pool with well water going through water treatment equipment, so far so good. I have to change the filter grids, all broken but one. Chlorinator is broken at the joint, worthless now. After reading all the bad stuff about pucks and since I'm in FL, I don't want to replace it, just use liquid chlorine or bleach.
What I need to do next:

1- Add bleach until I get to 5ppm FC
2- Level CH
3- Level TA
4- Level CYA
5- Recharge DE

My questions are:

A: Timing of operations, i.e. in what order should I add initial chemicals?
B: Recommended CYA level for my particular area? 50 ppm OK? We get a ton of rain down here right now.
C: Should I shock the pool right of the bat?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to TFP!

No need to shock right off unless something goes wrong.

If there isn't currently DE in the filter, add DE as soon as the pump is turned on.

CYA around 50 is a great starting point. See how that works, and think about adjusting it later if it doesn't work out.

Start raising CYA fairly soon. And also adjust PH if needed right away. Chlorine should be added in the evening of the first day. Everything else can wait a few days.

Welcome to the forum. Obvious here with this post you will learn what you need to and do well. I have to second that the first best investment for your pool will be a good test kit. I am biased toward to TF-100 because it has Taylor reagents and a greater volume of them than the best Taylor drop test kit, the K2006. If you splurge on a speed stir to go with it, you'll never regret it. Either way, the only true way to control your pool with success is with a good test kit.

RobbieH said:
If you are very lucky, you might find the K2006. Don't let them sell you the 2005 though. For the TF-100 you will have to go to tftestkits.net

Do that, and they will have you a kit in the mail today. Probably be there by Weds or Thursday.

EDIT: I want to add that I love your zeal and enthusiasm, but don't rush on buying the kit local. If you get the TF 100, you'll get more reagent. in the meantime, you can use the pool calcualtor to add some bleach until your kit arrives, and I assure you that it will be fine while you wait.

I have an old test kit around that should last until I get the new one. Is there an expiration on these things?

Also with regards to timing for adding chemicals, do I just level things then go to the next immediately? My fear is that down in FL pools turn green in a matter of day. As a matter of fact, the pool is still filling up and is already turning greenish: should I add some chlorine already?

mrethers said:
I have an old test kit around that should last until I get the new one. Is there an expiration on these things?

Also with regards to timing for adding chemicals, do I just level things then go to the next immediately? My fear is that down in FL pools turn green in a matter of day. As a matter of fact, the pool is still filling up and is already turning greenish: should I add some chlorine already?
30 mins between chemicals is typically enough... Some can be closer together, but for now use the 30 mins as a good starting point.

If it is green then you need to shock despite the refill. Get things in moderate balance and then follow the defeating algae / shocking your pool info in pool school.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Focus on FC and pH first. FC and CYA in the water immediately. Muriatic Acid or Borax/Washing Soda to lower or raise pH. Keep FC above the minimum levels, testing and adding as needed. TA can be done last. Always test before and after adding a chemical to make sure you are hitting your predicted marks. Wait an hour or so after adding something before testing. Read the extended test kit instructions for information on how to tell if any of your reagents are bad. extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA should be put in a sock and hung in front of a return. It can take a week or even more for it to show up in your testing. All the other chemicals can be added directly to the pool and should mix in and show in any tests within an hour or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.