Sinus Problems for certain swimmers in my pool

itsme_bernie

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2013
New Jersey
Hello again TFP!

I cannot find any other posts using Google, or the on-site search regarding this (besides one), so please let me know if I should re-post to a different board here.

I have been using BBB method, learned here to great degree of success. I am very happy using TFP TF100 test kit, and the PoolCalculator App (besides the resetting problem :)

My girlfriend and her daughter, who live with me and my daughter, are having sinus issues hours after a day in the pool. My daughter and I are NOT having these issues. I am trying to figure out what could be causing the problem.

I have been keeping my FC numbers around 3.0 around swim time (meaning higher when not swimming, generally), although it has gotten down to 1.x for a day and I would fix it right away. I test the pool every day or every other.

CC numbers have varied between 0 and less than .5 the whole summer. usually approximately .25 or less.

PH has been steady at 7.4 or so.

TA has been level, and a little high around 130 or so all summer.

CYA has been kept between 25 and 35.

I have had to be adding water to the pool because of a leak (I suspect in the pipes going to the stairs) which I have somewhat blocked (I will start another thread with this once I nail it down). I don't know if this affects things much. When I tested the fill water for Calcium hardness, I remember it being around 200 or so.

I hate to say this, but last year, we had a Pool Guy, who used the terrible pool tabs etc, :) .. and my girlfriend and her daughter did NOT have this problem! I can't imaging what would be better last year, when this year there are definitely LESS chemicals in the pool on average.

I use totally plain 8.25% CLorox bleach. Borax rarely. And the pool-store CYA is only the acid itself.

Has anyone else had or heard of issues like this? Any advice or even suspect problems? Anyone even know anyone else with this problem swimming? I am afraid to go back to the pool store with a sample since when I did that last, at the beginning of the summer, it REALLY messed things up!! :)

Thank you for any input and experiences

Bernie

Nothing really jumps out as the obvious cause, but I do suggest keeping the FC level a little higher and seeing if that makes any difference. Respiratory issues are common with CC levels a little higher than what you report, and can't be completely ruled out in your case. Raising FC will lower the CC level, eliminating that as a possibility.

Thanks Jason!

I did just that before I left this morning, based on an old thread from 2007. I will continue to zap the pool for a few days until we use it next to get the CC to zero again, which did happen this summer a few times.

Maybe keep FC up at 6 for a few days, and let it drop the day before we are going in? :)

Bernie

The elevated FC beforehand might help, but make sure there's plenty of sunlight on the pool. If you use a pool cover, try uncovering it some time before you use it and make sure the pump has been running for a time before you use the pool to ensure good mixing of the water.

chem geek said:
The elevated FC beforehand might help, but make sure there's plenty of sunlight on the pool. If you use a pool cover, try uncovering it some time before you use it and make sure the pump has been running for a time before you use the pool to ensure good mixing of the water.

Thanks Chem Geek-

I know this may be a stumper, but I will share a few more facts. My girlfriend and her daughter swam yesterday, and have the same problem last night. In the days leading up to yesterday, the pool had been uncovered for almost a week because we have had 95+ degree weather.

Their issues are reliably seriously stuffed up sinuses 5hours after swimming under water, to the degree that sleep is lost. After googling and googling, it appears to be a sensitivity to Chlorine. This is perplexing, as for two years there was no issue swimming! This has always been a chlorine pool!

Also, and this may be a little taboo to say here, but this is the ONLY issue this year that was NOT problem last year with the Pool Guy and using the Tri-chlor tabs. It never happened last year, and is happening EVERY time now! :( ... I would like to try to figure this out here, so info can be added to this wonderful store of knowledge, using this fantastic BBB method.

I am considering using a minimal number of the Tri-Chlor tabs, and just filling in the necessary chemicals using BBB method, which I am really happy with besides this one problem.

Bernie

There is no reason why you can't switch to tabs.....although I can't imagine that will have ANY affect whatsoever.

You will simply have to monitor your pH (it'll drop some) and your CYA so that it doesn't go over around 50 ppm.

As your CYA rises, simply drain and refill maybe 10% of your pool to keep it (the CYA) at a constant level.

Again, I can't imagine it having any effect, but it's a simple enough switch as long as you test your water accurately and reasonably often.

As an aside, have any new trees, shrubs, flowers, mulch or anything else (goggles) different been added in/near pool area since last year's swim season?

After a day in the pool, showers and hair washings come soon after. Any new shampoos, soaps, laundry detergents,
bedding/pillows/comforters etc?

Could be something other than the pool, and being mom and daughter, they could be responding with similar allergies.

If they both have sinus/allergy issues swimming will probably aggravate them both a bit as they are holding their breath swimming under water, water gets in through the ears, some up the nose, etc. That gets things rolling. I know you are comparing this season to last, but each season is unique to an allergy sufferer. If they never had allergies they can develop at any life stage. I suffered horribly before my last pregnancy and I now no longer suffer from them to that degree, certain things will still get me but it isn't constant. An adult can be allergy free and then have them. So the tree in the yard that didn't cause a problem last season, very well could this season. Same with the shampoo, soap, etc. Low grade sinus issues, can go undetected, until aggravated to the point where they become a nuisance.

Have both of them schedule with their respective pcp's and discuss the issue. Medically you really want to make sure they don't have undetected sinus issues.

I know for me personally when I clean the home using bleach it eats me alive and bothers my hands, whatever it touches on my body. I get tight skinned, dry, the area warms and reddens with any type of prolonged concentrated contact. I use the BBB method in the pool, I swim frequently and if I am not in the water I am cleaning it, dosing it etc. Pool water is on me daily for extended periods of time. I don't have a problem with the pool water. I am not minimizing what you are saying is happening to them at all just letting you know I have a hard time cleaning with the stuff, I do anyways because I feel it deep cleans, but I have no issues at all using BBB for our pool.

So schedule a visit with the doctor and see what they say, that way you can rule different things out emphatically without relying on people on the internet to do an "interwebs diagnosis" ~ its the safest way to go.

Definitely keep us posted because I will be curious to hear what the resolve is.

Thanks everyone for your consideration, and will surely post any findings here.

I will surely follow up with them seeing their doctors, and as all allergy searches go, it will be an ongoing effort. BUT I will say that the ONLY days either of them have this problem all year is after the pool, this year.

My girlfriend uses a Neti-pot at night, and said she will try using it immediately after the pool. We have also read that Vaseline rubbed around the inside if the nostrils can aid this problem. At first, I couldn't imagine why- but after thinking about it for a few minutes, I realized that traces of the Vaseline might be washed up the nose with the irritating water and block it from the sinus mucous membranes. Maybe? :)

It is hard to determine if the Tri-Chlor tabs have an ingredient added to diminish this sensitivity, or if it just functions differently as it breaks down slightly differently. Or if 8% Clorox bleach I am using breaks down some other way.

Thanks again everyone

Bernie

itsme_bernie said:
It is hard to determine if the Tri-Chlor tabs have an ingredient added to diminish this sensitivity, or if it just functions differently as it breaks down slightly differently. Or if 8% Clorox bleach I am using breaks down some other way.
Trichlor is just that, the only thing sometimes added is copper but that wouldn't have any affect in this case. More likely you weren't keeping to the FC/CYA recommendations while using pucks before and the chlorine level was lower than it should be. Knowing what you do now though if you switched back to pucks you would have to keep the FC level up in relation to the CYA level and would almost certainly get the same results. If you are desperate for an answer though and accept the requirements (regular water replacement to keep CYA in check) then there is no reason not to give it a shot.

Maybe I missed this, but have they tried nose plugs?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Clorox also has sodium polyacrylate in it so if you talk to the doctor you might mention that. You could try other bleaches or chlorinating liquid and see if that makes any difference. There isn't anything in Trichlor that would prevent this sort of problem.

Ironically, this Head & Sinus Thermal Wrap contains sodium polylacrylate.

When you switched to Trichlor, did you later add pH Up or Borax to keep the pH in normal range? Trichlor is acidic so would lower the pH. Though it seems strange, I wonder if the pH of the water is affecting your girlfriend and her daughter. Seems like a stretch, though.

If you switch to a different brand of bleach, let us know what happens. This is truly an unusual and interesting case.

My wife can tell if I use Trichlor for any period of time and in any form (pucks or granular) where the water tastes funny to her, but the effect goes away after about a day. I'm guessing that the acidity locally produces more nitrogen trichloride, but it could be some impurity. So for her, she's happier with chlorinating liquid, but it's from Hasa and doesn't have sodium polyacrylate as bleach does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.