Inground Steps Seal

SeanH

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2008
South Jersey
The plastic steps in my inground pool have a seal between the steps and the plastic trim piece locks the steps to the pool. It appears to be white silicone. The seal is coming out. Is there a way to repair this underwater? I'd hate to have to drain the pool that far at this point.

Sean

Sean, sorry to have missed this first time 'round :oops: thanks for bumping it :goodjob:

If your steps are anything like the ones I deal with, the silicone shouldn't matter :shock: - there is a rubber gasket behind the faceplate that actually does the sealing - some PBs don't trust it and caulk the stairs as an extra prevention against a leak.

Just keep an eye on the water level over the next few days - there may have been a solid reason for the caulk, if so you can look into getting some marine epoxy (which I believe can be applied underwater) Please let us know if the pool holds or looses water :)

waste said:
Sean, sorry to have missed this first time 'round :oops: thanks for bumping it :goodjob:

If your steps are anything like the ones I deal with, the silicone shouldn't matter :shock: - there is a rubber gasket behind the faceplate that actually does the sealing - some PBs don't trust it and caulk the stairs as an extra prevention against a leak.

Just keep an eye on the water level over the next few days - there may have been a solid reason for the caulk, if so you can look into getting some marine epoxy (which I believe can be applied underwater) Please let us know if the pool holds or looses water :)

Thanks for the response! That's good to know. I'm planning on getting some work done next spring (liner, new skimmer etc.) so that would be the time to fix the caulk. I didn't want to drain that far this season if I didn't have to.

I was doing a bucket test yesterday to check for leaks, but there was a little too much swimming going on, so I need to start over.

I do seem to be adding water more frequently than in past years, but we also have not had any significant rain for the past few weeks, so that could be part of it.

I'll start the bucket test again when I know we are not going to be swimming for a couple of days.

Thanks again.

Sean

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.