Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inground Steps Seal

1. Back To Top    #1

Inground Steps Seal

The plastic steps in my inground pool have a seal between the steps and the plastic trim piece locks the steps to the pool. It appears to be white silicone. The seal is coming out. Is there a way to repair this underwater? I'd hate to have to drain the pool that far at this point.

Sean
    17x35 Inground Vinyl Liner
    26,000 Gallons
    Nautilus DE Filter
    Pacfab Challenger Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Inground Steps Seal

Anyone have any ideas on this? The bead/seal is now gone.

Sean
    26,000 Gallons
    Nautilus DE Filter
    Pacfab Challenger Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Sean, sorry to have missed this first time 'round thanks for bumping it

If your steps are anything like the ones I deal with, the silicone shouldn't matter - there is a rubber gasket behind the faceplate that actually does the sealing - some PBs don't trust it and caulk the stairs as an extra prevention against a leak.

Just keep an eye on the water level over the next few days - there may have been a solid reason for the caulk, if so you can look into getting some marine epoxy (which I believe can be applied underwater) Please let us know if the pool holds or looses water
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Sean, sorry to have missed this first time 'round thanks for bumping it

If your steps are anything like the ones I deal with, the silicone shouldn't matter - there is a rubber gasket behind the faceplate that actually does the sealing - some PBs don't trust it and caulk the stairs as an extra prevention against a leak.

Just keep an eye on the water level over the next few days - there may have been a solid reason for the caulk, if so you can look into getting some marine epoxy (which I believe can be applied underwater) Please let us know if the pool holds or looses water
    Thanks for the response! That's good to know. I'm planning on getting some work done next spring (liner, new skimmer etc.) so that would be the time to fix the caulk. I didn't want to drain that far this season if I didn't have to.

I was doing a bucket test yesterday to check for leaks, but there was a little too much swimming going on, so I need to start over.

I do seem to be adding water more frequently than in past years, but we also have not had any significant rain for the past few weeks, so that could be part of it.

I'll start the bucket test again when I know we are not going to be swimming for a couple of days.

Thanks again.

Sean
    26,000 Gallons
    Nautilus DE Filter
    Pacfab Challenger Pump