Replacing 1HP single speed pump - Help Please!

Jul 7, 2013
Hi all - my first post on TFP and in need of some help. I recently bought a new house with an IG pool...had someone come out for pool school and I've been spending a lot of time on the message boards trying to find my way, but now run into a decision that I'm a bit overwhelmed with. I enjoy a good DIY project, but with so much info out there today I'm also trying to not take on a project I can't handle or get sold on something I don't need.

My situation is as follows - I had a 1 HP Jacuzzi Magnum force pump that just went out on me. When we had the pool professionally opened this season, they said my motor was almost shot and I'd be lucky to make it through this season without replacement. It was running loud until this weekend, but still functioning ok. This past weekend though, it gave way. At first I just wasn't getting good flow out of it. I got all the air out of the lines, it was working again for a day, and then the circuit started tripping. I admitted to myself that the pump was probably done for and removed it myself today.

Now I need to figure out what to replace it with. I have been looking at the Pentair Intelliflo options to save on some energy costs, but also reading from some sources that a 2-speed might get me more bang for my buck. And even if Intelliflo is my best bet, I'm totally confused by the different options out there and which would be best for me.

My main concerns:

- I have 2" PVC pipe. Will that allow the Pentair to operate efficiently?
- Since my current pump is only 1 HP and the Pentair all seem to be 3 HP, will that overwork my system? What HP should I be targeting? Does Pentair have any 1 HP options?
- I would love to install the new pump myself to cut down on installation costs, but any re-plumbing would definitely test my capabilities. Would love a plug and play option with my existing pipes, if possible.

Thanks so much in advance.

20K gal
IG Vinyl liner. 10 years old.
Purex Triton II Sand Filter
Pentair Intellichlor SWG
Pentair Mastertemp 250 Heater
Polaris 280 automatic cleaner with Pentair booster pump
Pool operates 4 months per year (live in Chicago)

Welcome to TFP!

An IntelliFlo is not generally worth it unless your electrical costs are $0.20/kWh or higher. Below that a dual speed is usually your best choice. Hayward makes a pair of variable speed 1 HP pumps that are more cost effective, however they are brand new and don't have any reliability history yet.

2" plumbing is just fine with an IntelliFlo. The IntelliFlo has a configuration setting to set the maximum speed to something well below it's actual maximum so it can work well with pools like yours.

About the only way you will get away without doing some plumbing is either by getting another of the same pump you have now, or by replacing just the motor and not the rest of the pump.

Thanks so much - very helpful and appreciate the quick response as my pool water is getting dirtier by the minute!

I definitely want to replace the pump instead of the motor since cutting down on energy costs is another goal, so based on what you said, I'll prob plan on having someone do the install.

Also, looks like my energy was about 0.05/kWh for June so Intelliflo may not be the most cost effective option.

Couple follow up questions -
are the options you mentioned pretty quiet?
Do you know of any variable speed 1HP pumps that do have a positive track record behind them? Or perhaps more importantly, do you think my system could handle more than 1HP or should i stick with what my previous pump was pushing out?

Thanks again,
Brian

bkeldie said:
I definitely want to replace the pump instead of the motor since cutting down on energy costs is another goal, so based on what you said, I'll prob plan on having someone do the install.
If your wet end (pump portion) is in good shape, I would consider just replacing your current motor with a 2-speed version. This should save you about 50% electricity.

Can you post a model number for your pump? That will help us give you a 2-speed option. I think this motor might work: http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352022097.htm...but it looks like it only comes in 115 volt. What voltage is your current pump?

Any variable speed or two speed on low will be much quieter than what you are used to.

There are no other 1 HP variable speeds. That is a brand new category.

Having more than 1 HP on a variable speed is not a problem, you just never use the higher speeds. The problem with variable speed pumps is that you will never pay back the initial investment with electric rates as low as yours.

Since you current pump is 230, then you will need to move up to the 1hp full rate motor, B2975. This will be fine and will should still be more energy efficient on high and or course much more so on low speed compared to your current motor. See: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Cent...n=aw_plaMain&gclid=CIOR8sGmoLgCFek7MgodxRoAfQ

There is a version of this motor that also has a timer built on if you don't have one and want one. See: http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00000017069219.htm?gclid=CM-cntqmoLgCFe9cMgodxSgAWg

You will also need to replace the seal and orings. See: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Alad...agnum-Pump-Seal-and-O-ring-kit/GO-KIT14-9.htm

After all the feedback received, I'm going to scrap the Intelliflo option. Now just deciding whether to replace the motor on my current pump or get a new 2-speed one.

Linen, thanks so much for the info on the motor...extremely helpful.

As for the new pump route, based on my research, the following all seem to be good options for energy efficiency, just not sure how to choose between them, other than price obviously and the fact that the last one is two speed:

PUR-10-366-P Pentair Whisper-Flo Pump, Med. Head, Up-Rated, EE, 1 HP, Model WFE-24, 115/230v (011517) $482.55

PUR-10-380-P Pentair Whisper-Flo Pump, Med. Head, Up-Rated, 1 HP, Model WF-24, 115/230v (011772) $434.45

PEN11486 Pentair Whisper-Flo Pump, Med Head, Full Rated, 2 Speed, 1.0 HP, Model WFDS-4, 230v (011486) $618.45

If anyone has thoughts on these pumps or any other words of advice when choosing between this and replacing the motor, would love to hear them.

Replacing the motor should be an easier job than plumbing a new pump in. if you get the T version of the motor it should wire right up to your existing configuration.

I did a motor replacement about 6 weeks ago. It was a short easy job.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The intelleflo is way more pump than you need, though it can work if you only use the low rpm settings...but the cost is high. If you insist on going with a vs pump, look into the hayward max-flo vs or the hayward superpump vs (Jason mentioned them above).

The 2-speed replacement motor I mentioned above will allow you to use your existing plumbing and save a lot of money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.