Pump keeps burning up

Jun 16, 2013
I am pulling my hair out :hammer: I need help in the worst way. I have an above ground round pool which is 33X54 with 25,000 of water. My problem started 2 seasons ago. After our first year of use we closed our pool for the year only to open it up the next spring to find my 2hp 2 speed pump to be froze up and when trying to remove the impeller the end of the shaft broke and there went the motor. Trying to save money a friend referred me to a pool installer who had an extra motor he took off another pool that he sold to me very reasonably. Pump was for an inground but from everything he told me and I researched, it would work. It was a single speed 1 1/2 hp Hayward SuperPump. I had underground wire running to pool that was 110 volt so I switched the pump to run 110. Ran great for about 1 1/2 months only to start getting louder and louder and eventually locking up all together. Shut pool down and this year knowing I needed ANOTHER pump I thought I would try to find one a little more efficient. Found a Pentair Superflo 1 1/2 hp. Was told since it was powerful and efficient I could run for 8 hrs a day and get same results. It had been wired for 220 and after doing some research I found the length I was running the wire exceeded recommended wire size to distance ratio SO I ran a 12/2 wire and switched to 220V. (Also the distance being too long at 110 would make the pump run hotter).....
New pump has been running great for about a month now only to go outside today after being gone for a coupe of days to find this pump now making bearing noise. I DONT GET IT, WHAT IS GOING ON. I now have 220v so it will run cooler but I'm clueless at this point. My sand filter is the original one that came with the pool which is a 22" I also plumbed it with 1 1/2 inch instead of 2". Would any of these combinations cause my motors to keep eating bearings???. I am at my wits end. I have 5 kids and not a disposable amount of cash but I really need some good dependable advice PLEASE.

there really are only two things I could see as your possible problem.

1. buying "used" unkown equipment that someone else says is "good"
2. keeping your pump out in the weather year round.

I am not sure where you live or what your winter/off season is like, but I put quick disconnects on BOTH ends of my pump setup, so I can remove the pump from the system when I winterize and store it in the garage (dry) for the winter. Off season months are much harder on the pump than actually running during the season. Freezing and water are no good for the pump. Also, wiring has nothing to do whether your pump runs "cooler" or "hotter". Also 1.5" or 2" pipe diameter doesn't make hardly any difference at all.

Good luck, and let us know how you proceed.

Pump was quiet for about 3 weeks running it 8 hrs a day. Lady I bought it from said pump was to big for her pool so she went to 1hp. Don't understand if it was going bad for her why it didn't show up when I hooked it up. As far as weather, I live in southern Ky near Nashville and it has been very unseasonably cool and LOTS of rain so temperature shouldn't be a factor but then again my luck with ANYTHING used is pretty bad. If there is one lemon out of 1000 I seem to have a knack for finding it :-D Probably should just bite the bullet and get it rebuilt just worried something may be causing it to go bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.