HELP! Crack in plaster pool!

stslimited84

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2011
North East
Hey all,

About 1 hour ago, the shallow end of the pool ruptured causing a hole about 10" in diameter with hairline cracks shooting off from it.

Obviously this is an issue. How do I go about fixing it? Is it going to cost an arm and a leg? Is it a do it yourself kinda deal or do I need someone to come in to fix it?

sincerely,

frustrated in the shallow end :(

This is a pretty significant failure in the concrete structure of your pool.

How old is your pool? Just curious.

It will first need to be drained and evaluated - as to why it failed.

I would drill some core sample around the area and get tested to make sure it is not failing as well.

Was it just a weak/ thin / or bad area in the gunite or is the entire concrete structure and or plaster failing??.

If it is just one area it can be saw cut and new rebar and gunite can be applied - as long as the area is tied/ secured to the existing pool floor. And then is your plaster any good?

You will need to re-plaster at least the area that failed (if you can fix the sink hole). If you do this you will have a different color plaster, but it is possible to be creative and blend in tiles or a tile sun for example to cover the area.

A job like this is best left to a professional, unless you are highly skilled or have some friends in the trade to help you.

Sorry to hear about this issue with your pool.

blakeusa said:
This is a pretty significant failure in the concrete structure of your pool.

How old is your pool? Just curious.

It will first need to be drained and evaluated - as to why it failed.

I would drill some core sample around the area and get tested to make sure it is not failing as well.

Was it just a weak/ thin / or bad area in the gunite or is the entire concrete structure and or plaster failing??.

If it is just one area it can be saw cut and new rebar and gunite can be applied - as long as the area is tied/ secured to the existing pool floor. And then is your plaster any good?

You will need to re-plaster at least the area that failed (if you can fix the sink hole). If you do this you will have a different color plaster, but it is possible to be creative and blend in tiles or a tile sun for example to cover the area.

A job like this is best left to a professional, unless you are highly skilled or have some friends in the trade to help you.

Sorry to hear about this issue with your pool.

The pool is approximately 20 years old and we have owned it for a little two years. The previous owners had it re-plastered between 5-10 years ago, but I'd have to find the receipt to give a more specific date.

It appears to my novice eyes the issue is more of a failing plaster issue rather than a structural but again thats from my novice perspective. I can see/feel the dark grey matter beneath the plaster (the gunite you speak of presumably) and the plaster chips away from the hole easily, kind of like peeling an egg.

Either way, this sounds like an expensive repair and maybe the end of the pool season :(

Is there anything I'm missing? Any recommendations for PB or repair companies in the Philadelphia area?

Yes you need to find a qualified pool builder that at least can determine the cause and give you a quote to repair the pool if that is what you want to do.... and yes it will be expensive.

My guess would be $4-6K if you have to repair the area and plaster the pool, then you need good quality water which could be another $1500 or more... but it is a pool and we love to spend money on our water pits.

Sounds like the plaster failed and allowed water to eat away at the gunite/concrete structure. It still should not really have h appened as a sudden hole.... but it would need to be checked out...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.