While I'm raising my CYA...

May 12, 2008
California City, CA
OK, my free chlorine is at 0 because my CYA was at 0. So on Thursday I added 4 lbs of conditioner and was told it could take up to a week to fully dissolve and show on a test. In the meantime, my free chlorine is still registering at close to 0. Should I continue to add bleach on a daily basis? When do I re-test my pool and add more conditioner if I need it??

Yes, add chlorine every evening. Test the water and adjust the FC level based on the CYA level you were trying to achieve, until you can get a valid CYA measurement.

You can test the CYA level again seven days after you added some.

If you wake up one morning and find you have 0ppm chlorine, you can add bleach in the morning. The point is just that in general, adding at night will be more cost effective as the bleach will work longer before it gets destroyed by sun, especially without much CYA. There is no time of day that it's harmful to add bleach (except perhaps when bathers are in the pool), but it's best to check every evening and add as necessary, never letting the total levels of sanitizer (chlorine) drop out of the required range.

No, CC won't go up unless something is going wrong.

When you add chlorine you are adding FC. If there are organics (algae, etc) in the pool for chlorine to break down then some CC will form as an intermediate step in breaking down the organic material. FC also breaks down CC, so the level may or may not become significant depending on how much stuff there is for the chlorine to break down and how much chlorine you are adding. But eventually all the organic material and all the CC is broken down and then you won't get any more CC until there is some new contaminate in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.