Stuck skimmer plug

CinDog

Jul 7, 2013
We have a white skimmer plug stuck, we have tried everything to loosen it.....it is hard to get a grip on it in the small area in the skimmer. It is threaded with a square nut on top. We have tried a lug nut wrench with two 10" extenders, but we started stripping the lug nut. Any suggestions?

Welcome to TFP CinDog! :wave:

I went ahead and split your topic off on it's own. Please start your own thread when posting a new issue. Thanks! :)

Also are you sure that plug is supposed to come out? Many skimmers have two holes. One is permanently plugged which is likely what you're dealing with.

Is there another hole to get water flowing and is this your first year with the pool? My question mainly is are you sure you can remove that from the skimmer?

CinDog said:
Thanks but yes it needs to be removed. We don't close our pool, but we have opened it for the last 20 years and this is the first time we have had this problem. :(
Gotcha. Just had to get the obvious out of the way.

You can't grab hold of the nut and get some torque on it. The special nut removal socket or basin wrench will allow you to get it.

CinDog said:
The Basin Wrench did the trick, thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my thread. :)

Now come on now! I need more props for that!

Just kidding, if it wasn't for 10 work hours over a week fighting how to unscrew a sink basin supply lines into the handles, bare and raw knuckles, that there was no way in heck I could get a bite on I wouldn't even know a Basin Wrench existed.

Plumbers are well worth their pay, as are their tools.

Very happy you got it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.