New to pools - why is there water pouring out of the filter?

Jun 1, 2008
North Carolina
Our new to us pool is almost finished filling. We don't know how to work the pump and filter. It is a sand filter and when it is set to filter and we turn the pump on it and things start running and water starts coming out of the waste line. When we turn the filter to backwash, water rushes out the waste line. The only time we can get it so water is not coming out the waste line is on closed with the pump off. What are we doing wrong? Thanks!
Also, we can't get a psi reading because the needle on the gauge is stuck behind a pin that comes up at the 0 mark. I think the needle may have bounced over the pin when we were moving everything. ANy thoughts on how to fix that?

You probably have a bad spider gasket in the main valve or there may be something broken internally in the main valve. Replacing the spider gasket isn't too difficult and while you have the valve open you can examine it for damage.

Ok, so we started the pump back up and let it run for more than 30 seconds. We were a little nervous before. The water is no longer pouring out when we are on the filter setting. However, we can't really tell if its working or not since the water was pretty clear to start with. Any thoughts about fixing the psi gauge? Also, when you do backwash, does water come out really fast? Where do we direct that flow to? Thanks so much for the help!

The gauge will probably need to be replaced. They don't cost very much, should be under $10.

Backwashing puts out water way faster than a garden hose. I direct mine towards a storm drain, others use it for irrigation water or pump to a dry well.

amersonl said:
Ok, so we started the pump back up and let it run for more than 30 seconds. We were a little nervous before. The water is no longer pouring out when we are on the filter setting. However, we can't really tell if its working or not since the water was pretty clear to start with. Any thoughts about fixing the psi gauge? Also, when you do backwash, does water come out really fast? Where do we direct that flow to? Thanks so much for the help!

Do you feel a good steady flow of water coming back into the pool thru the return?

Ok so the filter now has a new problem. The hose that runs from the filter to the pump has a slow leak at the place where it is connected to the pump. Is there a gasket in there that we might need to replace or something else? My husband tightened it as far as he could. If we do take that hose off, won't water come spilling out at a high rate? We've already spilled quite a bit today. Thanks!

Yes, you will lose water when you undo any connections, tho minimal. Any way you can post a pic of the leaky spot?

Confession: My filter has a leak at the hose connection that runs to the heater. It's a slow drip, had it going on 3 seasons now, haven't bothered to fix it.... :oops:

Go get you some bath/sink drain plugs from walmart. Our skimmer takes a 1 1/2 plug, and we got one for our return also but I can't remember the size of that one. Once you put the plugs into your skimmer and return it shouldn't spew water, and then you can fix your line. Be sure to prime your system after you are done before you turn your pump on.

I looked back through the box of parts we got when we bought the pool - we bought it from another couple who had to take it down - and I found an O ring that looked just about the right size for the hose that was leaking. Sure enough - leak fixed. We did spew some water though, but the drain plug idea is great and we will have to pick those up and use it next time. I hope there isn't a next time. We do have one more slow drip where the return line hose connects to our return jet (which is the light that I can't remember the name of). We have tightened the hose clamp but it still drips very slowly. Though not a priority, we would like to fix it if possible. Maybe duck tape?(':)')

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.