Partial drain to lower CYA- Now what?

SunMan

Jun 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Have been reading the posts on many forums and really appreciate the knowledge being shared. It became obvious to me the only way I was going to get back to a "trouble free pool" was by draining off about 3/4 of my water, which I am doing now. :?: My question is when I refill what steps should I take. :?: I do have the Taylor test kit referenced throughout.

Once its filled back up you have to get your chemistry in balance. You should just need chlorine and muratic acid. Hopefully your CYA is close to your target range once you have refilled. Test your water and reference the pool calculator to see what you need to add. You will need to decide how you are going to chlorinate your pool from here on out. If you follow the advice here you will use bleach/liquid chlorine. If you use pucks you will be in the same situation later down the road. Read pool school so you can understand whats going on with your pool and start enjoying your pool again.

Going on what Shane said, you will definitely need chlorine. However, you may not need muriatic acid. It all depends on the pH of your fill water. For example, my fill water has a low pH (probably below 6). So for me, I need Borax. Yu may have high pH fill water, so you may need muriatic acid. So fill the pool up, let the new water mix, and then post test results.

Refilled the pool and added 1 gal liq chlorine while filling (12.5%). Here is this mornings test results; FC=7, CC=<.5, PH=8, TA=140, CH=190, CYA=50 :mrgreen:
My water is clear but not sparkling. What should I do and in what order?

Partial drain to lower CYA- New test results

Topics merged. Lets keep everything here. Bama

Refilled the pool and added 1 gal liq chlorine while filling (12.5%). Here is this mornings test results; FC=7, CC=<.5, PH=8, TA=140, CH=190, CYA=50 :mrgreen:
My water is clear but not sparkling. What should I do and in what order?

Re: Partial drain to lower CYA- New test results

Lower the pH to about 7.2 first.

I'd suggest running an OCLT. I know it's a new fill but that just rules out anything organic.

I'd also run the filter 24 hours a day until it's sparkling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, got PH to 7.5. Total FC loss yesterday due to sunlight and light bather load was 4.5ppm. Raised FC to 6 and ran OTCL. This morning's reading is 5ppm, 0-CC. Yesterday it was 106 during the day and the overnight temp never went below 85. Am I good to go? :-D EDIT Just checked my PH, up to 7.8 O'nite! Is that typical?

To use the pool calculator just save the page as an HTML on your harddrive. I'm using firefox, so to do that I go to File, Save Page As...
Then when I want to use it offline I go to File, Open File... and open the file I saved.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.