BBQ grill cover and UV protection

Jun 6, 2013
SoCal
I live is California's hot climate and my BBQ island grill is in an area of constant direct sunlight. The custom tight fitting cover is 2 months old, black in color, and supposedly made of quality materials for outdoor use. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect it to fade soon and maybe last 2 years before disintegrating.
Aside from removing it from sunlight, what can be done to prolong the life of the cover? I'm thinking Scotchguard or something like that. Has anyone tried anything that works?
(The grill and cabinet doors are stainless steel so of course I won't want to damage the finish)

porkandbeans said:
I live is California's hot climate and my BBQ island grill is in an area of constant direct sunlight. The custom tight fitting cover is 2 months old, black in color, and supposedly made of quality materials for outdoor use. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect it to fade soon and maybe last 2 years before disintegrating.
Aside from removing it from sunlight, what can be done to prolong the life of the cover? I'm thinking Scotchguard or something like that. Has anyone tried anything that works?
(The grill and cabinet doors are stainless steel so of course I won't want to damage the finish)
That must be no fun to use on a hot day.

I'd say....build a pergola or buy a canopy to shade it.

137429495_400x400.jpg

Thanks for the responses.
A canopy or pergola would not work where the bbq is and instead I have one on a different section of the patio. The placement is fine and it really doesn't get too hot to bbq. By mid-afternoon a regular breeze kicks in taming the heat. In fact, the chair covers under the pergola and the pegola cover itself also receive some deterioration from UV. Even though the sunlight is strong for a good 8-10 hours during a summer day, I don't want to block the light. Hopefully there is a good protectant to block (or reduce) UV. I'll look into that aerospace stuff. The Armor All would probably look good when fresh, but I wonder how it would hold up. Sometimes it could turn brown and trap dirty in the fabric weave.

porkandbeans said:
The Armor All would probably look good when fresh, but I wonder how it would hold up. Sometimes it could turn brown and trap dirty in the fabric weave.

Give the Aerospace Protectant 303 a try...it's a marine product and not petroleum based like Armor All is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.