Hayward pump making noise and other questions

cluelesslylazy

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 17, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
First off I would like to say thank you to all the members on this site, your knowledge has been invaluable to me as a new pool owner. I have been running my pool with most of the BBB method since filling and have been very happy.

Now a little history on the pool. I bought a bank owned property with aprox 16000 gunite pool with an attached hot tube back in April of this year. So far I have drained the pool acid and pressure washed checked plaster (the pool does need to be replastered but I am waiting till after this season is over with). I removed the heater and hot tub jet pump and piped in bypass for now. Replace sand and lateral assy. in hayward 244T sand filter. The pool has been running fine since, till a few days ago.

The hayward pump (model SP2607X10) started making a noise a few days ago. I don't know if the motor is going bad or if the impeller is having problems. (hope this video link post)

If I need to replace the pump is a VS pump a better way to go at a electric rate of about .09kWh.
(I started reading your Hydraulics 101 post but its has been a while in my last internal fluid dynamics class)

Like most things this new problem started right as I started to do research and calculations on how long and often I should run the pump. From what i have read so far a pool should be turned over ever 12 hours. So if my pump does 50gpm I should only run the pump for about 5.5 hours twice a day. Is this correct.

Sorry for the long post and muti questions. Thanks for you help in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.