Which Test Results to Believe?

May 24, 2013
I use Taylor's K-2005 and TFTestkit TF-100 to test my pool water daily/weekly. I do the weekly test on Saturdays. Through June and so far this month my test results have been very consistent.

After yesterday's, weekly test I took a sample to the pool store for a "professional" water test. The results of their test amazed me!

Here are the results: Mine: FC 3.5 Theirs: FC 2.42
TC 3.5 TC 2.42
CC 0.0 CC 0.0
pH 7.6 pH 7.8
CH 280 CH 215
ALKc 58.5 ALKc 61
CYA 50 CYA 73
Borate 50 Borate 50
Salt 3200 Salt 2900

As you can see, only two of their tests matched mine; CC and Borates.

The pool store uses a computer program to do the test, it is called Waterlink Datamate 10 by LaMotte. A small water sample is injected into a plastic wheel which is then put into a test box which analyzes the water.

Which results do you suggest I use, Taylor's K-2005/TF-100 or Waterlink Datamate 10?

One of the most important rules of BBB is to always trust your own testing.

That rule assumes you have a good kit with good reagents, of course, but you should have confidence in your own test results.....that's why you bought the kit.

This is just my opinion...

The "good" range for any test is a lot smaller than the bad range. If a pool store's tests aren't accurate, it's extremely likely that result will fall in a "bad" range. If something is in the bad range, that's an opportunity for them to sell you something to "fix" the bad result. So pool stores don't *care* if their results are accurate or not.

Trust your own results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.