Test results test results getting better now what

bevbull

Bronze Supporter
Oct 17, 2012
Haydenville, MA
We have recently opened our pool and have been battling algae for about aweek- it had been growing for a lot longer than that. I have been keeping the shock level high- today it is very high. Yesterday, I backwashed 6 times and broke the filter down once. The filter is doing it's job but we still can't see the bottom.

Here are my numbers:

FC 26
CC 1.5
TC 27.5
pH 7.2
TA 60
CH 200
CYA 50

Any suggestions for next steps would be great. I am thinking possible changes would be calcium, baking soda for TA and Borax. Should I wait or address these now?

Thanks _BB

Keep your chlorine right up there. That's the whole idea in the shock Process.

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. Follow that article to the letter and your pool will clear.

Everything you post seems perfectly normal and you have a good grasp of what is happening in your pool. Keeping your chlorine up high constantly is the key to success.

Disregard your other parameters until your pool is crystal clear......it will be soon if you hold your chlorine up high

Did I mention to keep your chlorine up? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

At night, I personally go a smidge above target shock level, just in case I am not interpreting my CYA level correctly.
I also like to make sure prior to bedtime I am dosed properly because with no sunshine the chlorine can really get the job done.

In the morning I retest everything, I then dose it up (if necessary) and give a little more of a cushion than I do at night time because when I am at work I am not able to test and the sun does cut into the action and breaks the chlorine down quicker.

Others might hop on and share how they handle it. But for me target is the minimum I try to be at, at all times throughout the shock process. And I did note how much I was losing during the day & weather conditions so I could better predict what I needed during the day while I was at work to make sure I maintained levels 24 hours a day. Night time because of the lack of sun it's a bit easier, but it's still very important to keep at target level for you CYA.

It's a great feeling to see the progress, kind of like a rush when things start working. Congrats on your accomplishments to date and keep on keepin on :)

Just checking in after 6 days of keeping the shock level up, backwashing, breaking filter down 2x, vacuuming now that I can see I am just wondering if I am doing ok.

It has been sunny and hot so yesterday I added CYA to get back in range. Here are my numbers---I must admit I was hoping for a good Overnight FC test but maybe tonight.

FC 14 it was 18 at dusk
CC .5
TC14.5
CYA 45

will be adding cholrine this morning to get my levels up and see how we fare this evening...a long work day today.

Have a good one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.