How does a fountain cool the water?

blaib

Jun 9, 2013
Just wondering if anyone can tell me how exactly a fountain cools the pool water? I installed one and it works great but I don't really understand how exactly it is working?

Thank you
Brian

If I can remember back to high school physics... temperature is an an average of the energy in any substance. Some molecules have more, some have less. Some of the water molecules are closer to a temp where they will move into a gaseous state, but are held in check by other close by molecules that are not. Only molecules on the surface can change state easily and evaporate. If you atomize the water, there is more surface area so more high energy molecules can vaporize thus lowering the average energy/temperature.

Now, I am not 100% sure if this is correct because High school was about 30 years ago... so take it with a grain of salt.

seanm, you have it right. The rate of evaporation is a function of surface area, which is dramatically higher when water is sprayed by a fountain. Typically, more evaporation happens from a fountain than happens from the surface of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.