why not a downloadable version of The Pool Calculator?

May 19, 2008
Deeetroit
why not a downloadable version of The Pool Calculator?

example, I have an old computer in the garage that is not on the network (yet), that soley serves as a Jukebox.

It would be great to have a standalone version of the pool calculator there, should I lose my acess to the web, or by some chance the site went down.

I'm not understanging this...and I am fairly computer literate.

If I save this link in favorites, and then re-open later, it just tries to connect to the internet again. If I turn off my Wi-Fi card and open the link, I get "cannot connect to the internet".

What am I doin' wrong here?

In firefox, go to the file menu. Choose "Save page as..." This will save the contents of the entire page to your hard drive (or whatever you tell it). Then you can access it through firefox with, for example, file://(name of file here with path). This can then be bookmarked. You can also open it using the menus. File, Open, and browse to the file. Again, after this, you can bookmark it.

Jason, thanks by the way for making your work freely available to everyone. Many people would be trying to turn a profit off of it.

Matt said:
In firefox, go to the file menu. Choose "Save page as..." This will save the contents of the entire page to your hard drive (or whatever you tell it). Then you can access it through firefox with, for example, file://(name of file here with path). This can then be bookmarked. You can also open it using the menus. File, Open, and browse to the file. Again, after this, you can bookmark it.

Jason, thanks by the way for making your work freely available to everyone. Many people would be trying to turn a profit off of it.

There is a donate button at the top of the pool calculator page. I hope that some of the thousands of users who have now used the calculator, and saved money by using it, have seen fit to donate. The kind of time and effort that Jason has put into his calculator should be supported financially. Personally, I think he should make a profit - he deserves it! I look at it this way, will he be more or less likely to improve and support the calculator in the future if it takes up time and costs money (time IS money)?

I'm a strong proponent of the free software movement. It's based on the idea of cooperation and a belief in sharing and helping others without compensation. Almost all free software gives users the opportunity to donate, and I have done so many times with software that I use and enjoy. That is much more appealing to me though than someone who tells me I cannot use their software at all until I pay them. I hope he makes some money too, but I think it's admirable to not force it out of people, but rather to let those who benefit from it and can afford to do so express their gratitude, while allowing those who cannot afford it to still benefit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.