What else do you grill?

SeanB

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
While cooking some steaks the other day, I grilled a pineapple with a brown sugar glaze. It was really good.

While I was at it, I also grilled some whole tomatoes, jalepeno, onion, cilantro, and garlic - I through it all in the food processor with some fresh squeezed lemon and made fresh "grilled" salsa!

What unusual stuff have you grilled?

Salmon with grilled asparagus last night. It was yummy. I grill most anything. Shrimp wrapped in pruchetta stuffed with blue cheeze,sarano pepper and cilanatro is one of my favorites.

Man, I love Northern KY (think Cincinnati metro area) but I surely miss the wonderful fresh seafood of SE Louisiana...

My fave thing to grill are burgers. Plain old, nothing added, Angus (or grass-fed, if I can get it) beef.

Medium rare please.
(DH says: still moo-ing, just take off the bell and warm it a bit!) :shock:

Pass the mustard!!
:eat:

Also like zucchini, summer squash, and onions grilled with EVO and fresh basil or thyme, S&P

One food that I only like grilled is carrots. Lightly brushed with butter, they cook quickly. Tried it once when we had a bunch of carrot sticks left over from a party. Amazingly sweet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2.jpg

3.jpg

Hopefully the pics posted. A few steaks and some stuffed jalapenos on the Big Green Egg.

Mike

Onions are a favorite of mine - for white or sweet onions, cut rounds across the grain (like making rings) then skewer them with bamboo skewers (I go through a TON of bamboo skewers, use em for everything), cover in olive oil, kosher salt, and thrown on the grill. Or if you're daring, just thrown em on without the skewers - you'll lose a few to the grill, but it's way quicker.

Green onions grill up nice after soaking in lime juice for 10-15 minutes - taste great on grilled tacos. Really really great. There was a time when I didn't fire up my grill without throwing a bunch of green onions on it...

One last grilled onion recipe - take a sweet (vidalia or walla walla type), and cut the sprout end off and pull the outer skin off. cut radially (like a pie) from the sprout end to the root leaving 1/2" at the root to hold things together. Wrap that up root end down in some foil, and top with butter, kosher salt, and a dash of balsamic vinegar. Sit those in indirect heat for 30-60 minutes (or longer if you're slow cooking at <200) and they'll get golden brown and delicious. Best grilled onions to ever top a burger or steak.

Last item of the night - I'm getting hungry - spuds. In addition to the old standby of grill-baking russets/idahos, I've got a few favs I pull out at most grill meals.

Red or purple potates - cut in 3/4-1" chunks and toss with olive oil, garlic, salt, and rosemary. make a foil tray, and fill half of it with the spuds, fold the other half over and seal it up to make a foil pouch. Throw that on the grill over moderate to high heat for 20-30 minutes, turning a few times (turn more often the hotter the grill is). Oh yeah, make sure you spray teh foil down with PAM - you don't want the spuds to stick.

You can do the above in a huge pouch (18x8 or so), or split it up into serving sized pouches to make more efficient use of grill space (they fit in between other things).

One last thing - apples! Grilled apples rock - for firm baking apples (think granny smith) core them, fill the hole with butter and brown sugar, and grill upright over indirect heat. When they start to fall apart they are done.

I've also made grilled applesauce - slice the apples think, and cover in butter or coat your grill grates with oil and grill, turning every 3-5 minutes until they are soft. once soft, put them all in a bowl with a little more butter (or not - my wife like things healther, so I skip that usually) and mash em up. The grilling really brings out the best in the apples!

SeanB said
While I was at it, I also grilled some whole tomatoes, jalepeno, onion, cilantro, and garlic - I through it all in the food processor with some fresh squeezed lemon and made fresh "grilled" salsa!

Sean I happened to run across this thread today as I was about to throw a porterhouse on my Weber (gas) and noticed that I had a few tomatoes that were looking way ripe, so I threw them along with a jalapeno, onion, cilantro, etc. and used the food processor like you mentioned (I used lime instead of lemon) and WOAH! was that some GOOD SALSA! Scored major points with the wife. Of course I had to tell her that it was just something I came up with at the last minute. LOL!

Thanks for the idea!

Zucchini is a favorite, just slice, dip in olive oil and put on the grill
in a couple of minutes their done. Various other squashes
work just as well. Sweet potatoes work also.

All these make quick side dishes.

Enjoy.

Cliff s

One of my favorite things to grill -- Asparagus.

Get a bunch or two of fresh asparagus. To a gallon size freezer ziplock add 1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic finely diced, 1/2 finely diced shallot, salt and pepper to taste. Seal the bag leaving some air and shake until the mixture is emulsified then add the asparagus and macerate in the refrigerator overnight. Put the asparagus in a grill basket and grill over high heat at 1 minute per side or until you get some char on them (I like my asparagus to have a little crunch, so if you don't grill it longer over lower heat).

Don't forget to save the leftover balsamic mixture for dipping.

ktdave said:
SeanB said

Sean I happened to run across this thread today as I was about to throw a porterhouse on my Weber (gas) and noticed that I had a few tomatoes that were looking way ripe, so I threw them along with a jalapeno, onion, cilantro, etc. and used the food processor like you mentioned (I used lime instead of lemon) and WOAH! was that some GOOD SALSA! Scored major points with the wife. Of course I had to tell her that it was just something I came up with at the last minute. LOL!

Thanks for the idea!

Feel free to steal at will. Anything that gains points with the DW - we guys have to stick together. :lol:

Glad you liked it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.