Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What else do you grill?

1. Back To Top    #1

What else do you grill?

While cooking some steaks the other day, I grilled a pineapple with a brown sugar glaze. It was really good.

While I was at it, I also grilled some whole tomatoes, jalepeno, onion, cilantro, and garlic - I through it all in the food processor with some fresh squeezed lemon and made fresh "grilled" salsa!

What unusual stuff have you grilled?
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Grilled some Shrimp Kabobs and Corn on the cob. Hong Kong seafood market had their King Prawns on sale and we could not pass em up. MMMMMMM!!!!! :thumbs up:
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

3. Back To Top    #3
    Salmon with grilled asparagus last night. It was yummy. I grill most anything. Shrimp wrapped in pruchetta stuffed with blue cheeze,sarano pepper and cilanatro is one of my favorites.
    8500 Gallon Fiberglass IG / Sta-Rite pump,cartridge filter & heater / PoolPilot Dig 220-36 SWG / Testing w/K2006

4. Back To Top    #4
    A slab of bacon!
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerbrks
    A slab of bacon!
    Man, you are a Texan!
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Why thank you very much. BTW, thank you for the site. This weekend, if the weather will allow, I'd like to go to HEB and get some fish and prawns to grill. We don't have the luxury of those near the coast. :eat:
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets

7. Back To Top    #7
    Man, I love Northern KY (think Cincinnati metro area) but I surely miss the wonderful fresh seafood of SE Louisiana...

My fave thing to grill are burgers. Plain old, nothing added, Angus (or grass-fed, if I can get it) beef.

Medium rare please.
    (DH says: still moo-ing, just take off the bell and warm it a bit!)

Pass the mustard!!
    :eat:

Also like zucchini, summer squash, and onions grilled with EVO and fresh basil or thyme, S&P

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Thanks to vegetarian relatives, I've learned that I LOVE grilled seitan!
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

9. Back To Top    #9
    One food that I only like grilled is carrots. Lightly brushed with butter, they cook quickly. Tried it once when we had a bunch of carrot sticks left over from a party. Amazingly sweet.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

10. Back To Top    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by giulietta1
    Thanks to vegetarian relatives, I've learned that I LOVE grilled seitan!
    With the wheat gluten/pet food recall lately, be careful about that!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

11. Back To Top    #11

Hopefully the pics posted. A few steaks and some stuffed jalapenos on the Big Green Egg.

Mike

12. Back To Top    #12
    Have I mentioned how much I like your posts? 8)

How is the Miller Chill? I just saw it advertised yesterday. Seems like they are marketing it as a Corona type beer.
    TFP Founder

13. Back To Top    #13

The Miller Chill is very good. I am usually a Coors Light or Corona Light person but it was good. I will buy it again. Went great with the steaks!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Onions are a favorite of mine - for white or sweet onions, cut rounds across the grain (like making rings) then skewer them with bamboo skewers (I go through a TON of bamboo skewers, use em for everything), cover in olive oil, kosher salt, and thrown on the grill. Or if you're daring, just thrown em on without the skewers - you'll lose a few to the grill, but it's way quicker.

Green onions grill up nice after soaking in lime juice for 10-15 minutes - taste great on grilled tacos. Really really great. There was a time when I didn't fire up my grill without throwing a bunch of green onions on it...

One last grilled onion recipe - take a sweet (vidalia or walla walla type), and cut the sprout end off and pull the outer skin off. cut radially (like a pie) from the sprout end to the root leaving 1/2" at the root to hold things together. Wrap that up root end down in some foil, and top with butter, kosher salt, and a dash of balsamic vinegar. Sit those in indirect heat for 30-60 minutes (or longer if you're slow cooking at <200) and they'll get golden brown and delicious. Best grilled onions to ever top a burger or steak.

Last item of the night - I'm getting hungry - spuds. In addition to the old standby of grill-baking russets/idahos, I've got a few favs I pull out at most grill meals.

Red or purple potates - cut in 3/4-1" chunks and toss with olive oil, garlic, salt, and rosemary. make a foil tray, and fill half of it with the spuds, fold the other half over and seal it up to make a foil pouch. Throw that on the grill over moderate to high heat for 20-30 minutes, turning a few times (turn more often the hotter the grill is). Oh yeah, make sure you spray teh foil down with PAM - you don't want the spuds to stick.

You can do the above in a huge pouch (18x8 or so), or split it up into serving sized pouches to make more efficient use of grill space (they fit in between other things).
    Darren
    ~20K gallon freeform w/attached spa
    Pentair 4x160 pump
    Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Intellitouch i7+3 controller
    Intellichlor IC40

15. Back To Top    #15

One last thing - apples! Grilled apples rock - for firm baking apples (think granny smith) core them, fill the hole with butter and brown sugar, and grill upright over indirect heat. When they start to fall apart they are done.

I've also made grilled applesauce - slice the apples think, and cover in butter or coat your grill grates with oil and grill, turning every 3-5 minutes until they are soft. once soft, put them all in a bowl with a little more butter (or not - my wife like things healther, so I skip that usually) and mash em up. The grilling really brings out the best in the apples!
    Darren
    ~20K gallon freeform w/attached spa
    Pentair 4x160 pump
    Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Intellitouch i7+3 controller
    Intellichlor IC40

16. Back To Top    #16
    I made smoked chilli one time. I prepared it like normal and then smoked it with hickory for about 2 hours. Without bragging, it may have been the best chilli I've ever had.
    TFP Founder

17. Back To Top    #17
    SeanB said
    While I was at it, I also grilled some whole tomatoes, jalepeno, onion, cilantro, and garlic - I through it all in the food processor with some fresh squeezed lemon and made fresh "grilled" salsa!
    Sean I happened to run across this thread today as I was about to throw a porterhouse on my Weber (gas) and noticed that I had a few tomatoes that were looking way ripe, so I threw them along with a jalapeno, onion, cilantro, etc. and used the food processor like you mentioned (I used lime instead of lemon) and WOAH! was that some GOOD SALSA! Scored major points with the wife. Of course I had to tell her that it was just something I came up with at the last minute. LOL!

Thanks for the idea!
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

18. Back To Top    #18
    Zucchini is a favorite, just slice, dip in olive oil and put on the grill
    in a couple of minutes their done. Various other squashes
    work just as well. Sweet potatoes work also.

All these make quick side dishes.

Enjoy.

Cliff s

19. Back To Top    #19

One of my favorite things to grill -- Asparagus.

Get a bunch or two of fresh asparagus. To a gallon size freezer ziplock add 1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic finely diced, 1/2 finely diced shallot, salt and pepper to taste. Seal the bag leaving some air and shake until the mixture is emulsified then add the asparagus and macerate in the refrigerator overnight. Put the asparagus in a grill basket and grill over high heat at 1 minute per side or until you get some char on them (I like my asparagus to have a little crunch, so if you don't grill it longer over lower heat).

Don't forget to save the leftover balsamic mixture for dipping.
    28,500g IG Vinyl Grecian
    48ft2 Purex Triton D.E. Filter
    Dolphin Dynamic
    PS234 Testkit

20. Back To Top    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ktdave
    SeanB said
    Sean I happened to run across this thread today as I was about to throw a porterhouse on my Weber (gas) and noticed that I had a few tomatoes that were looking way ripe, so I threw them along with a jalapeno, onion, cilantro, etc. and used the food processor like you mentioned (I used lime instead of lemon) and WOAH! was that some GOOD SALSA! Scored major points with the wife. Of course I had to tell her that it was just something I came up with at the last minute. LOL!

Thanks for the idea!
    Feel free to steal at will. Anything that gains points with the DW - we guys have to stick together.

Glad you liked it.
    TFP Founder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast