Dont know where to start. New 2650 sand pump and SWG

Jul 29, 2010
Jacksonville, NC
I have not added anything to water. Have the ta-100 test kit..

PH - 7.8
TA - 200 - it says when the water turns red but I recorded when it first turn "pink". right? 20 drops...
no chlorine or cya.

water level is 43"
water is clean and clear.

What to add first?

Bleach first.

Then mess around with tying CYA up in a sock and suspending it in front of the return. It will take a week to register, so just hang it and forget it pretty much. Some people like to give the sock a squeeze when they're nearby.

Your pH is fine right now. I'd expect it to rise from the fairly high TA long before it's warm enough to jump in, so you'll be needing some acid in a day or two.

Two things on the TA test - you count drops until one of the drops makes no more change, then subtract that. And a lot of people have trouble with static electricity on the R-009 TA reagent causing smaller drops and falsely high readings. So wipe the tip with a damp paper towel between drops for the first few tests. extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Richard beat me, but here are my thoughts...

TA test is done when the color does not change anymore with the next drop (and you subtract that drop), so that could be more than when it turned pink.

I would get some chlorine in there (maybe 3 ppm if the water is clear). Then I would drop ph down to 7.2 (since your TA is high) and keep on eye on it...dropping it back to 7.2 everytime you get to 7.8. Then I would get started with adding cya. For a swg pool you want to be at 70-80 ppm cya, but be careful...it is easy to add but drain/refill to remove. See:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Then, if you are sure your water is clear start adding salt but do not turn on the swg until all of the salt has dissolved and circulated for a few hours.

linen said:
Richard beat me, but here are my thoughts...
raspberry.gif

I completely missed the SWG part. So I better paste in my standard response: Get it balanced as a chlorine pool first, then add salt, then turn on SWG. Check out the highlighted post here if you have kids.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.