posphate

shane4

Jul 4, 2013
Ontario Canada
I have read through some posts and the pool school about posphate and understand this forum tends to ignore it yet the pool store deems it's removal as essential.

Could someone explain a bit more on phosphates or direct me to previous posts/threads that I may have missed?

Thanx

I'm not an expert so somebody may correct me but phosphates provide nutrients for algae to grew. With that being said algae won't grow at a properly maintained chlorine level according to your cya level. The pool store is trying to make money on something you shouldn't need.

Basically, if you do not maintain an adequate FC level (as taught on tfp), then phosphate levels could matter since it is an algae nutrient. However, some (maybe most) phosphate removers only remove inorganic phosphate and don't touch the organic phosphates which are also algae nutrients. In addition to phosphates, one would also need to keep nitrate levels low since that is also a nutrient for algae. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-phosphate-remover-marketing-claim-t11214.html#p90056

My opinion is the reason pool stores talk about it (and sell removers) is that it can be a good/steady money maker.

Say you've got a wood pile -- that's phosphates (and nitrates) -- representing algae nutrients.

Say you've got sparks flying into that wood pile -- those sparks are live algae blown into the pool.

Say you're spraying that wood pile with a fine mist of water -- that's chlorine.

So long as you've got enough water to put out the sparks (i.e. enough active chlorine to kill algae), then the size of the wood pile (i.e. phosphates) is irrelevant. You won't start a fire.

If the active chlorine level gets too low so doesn't put out the sparks and they instead turn into flames, then it will take a higher active chlorine level (a lot more water) to put out the resulting fire (algae bloom). However, once that fire is out, you can lower the active chlorine level back down to the level needed to put out the sparks.

Yes, you can use a phosphate remover to lower the amount of wood in the wood pile, but it's not necessary so long as you maintain the proper active chlorine level. So a phosphate remover needs to be viewed in the same way as an algaecide -- it's insurance if you are unable or unwilling to maintain a proper FC/CYA level, but it's not necessary. And, of course, it's extra cost. And as was pointed out, it's not 100% reliable because if the chlorine level gets to zero, then bacteria can convert organic phosphates (which phosphate removers don't touch) into orthophosphate that algae uses for growth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.