Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air bubbles at return jets ( and a cloudiness issue )

1. Back To Top    #1

Air bubbles at return jets ( and a cloudiness issue )

20X40 inground kidney concrete pool
    SWG
    Hayward pump and filter
    Solar panel system (independent pump from pool filter)

My pool water chemistry is fine according to the pool store test. But my pool is still cloudy. I had a calcium harness issue as well as a high PH issue. That has been resolved, but still have the cloudiness.

I read in another area that my SWG can cause hydrogen bubbles to enter my pool.

My question is.........could my SWG be my issue, or is it possible I have an air leak somewhere in my lines? I have not performed a test to figure out if I am losing water, but it does seem like the water loss is more than evaporation.

I also have noticed that I lose my water level in my pump skimmer when I shut my pump off. It doesn't appear to be a gasket problem, but is it?
    Any thoughts?

Justawildchild
    20 x 40 in-ground concrete
    1 & 1/2 HP hayward pump
    Hayward sand filter
    Aquarite SWG
    Sungrabber Solar Panels

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

You should post a full set of water test results. That will help us figure out what is going on.

A SWG does produce hydrogen bubbles, but that wouldn't have anything to do with your issue.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWG's do produce hydrogen gas (H2) as a byproduct of HOCl production. However, this would not cause your whole pool to be cloudy. Gas quickly rises to the surface and won't cause global cloudiness. I would look elsewhere for the culprit, and as Jason says, post some test results.

It could be chemical, or it could also be mechanical. If there is a problem with the filter or pump, then that could be preventing particulate matter from being filtered out. There are a million possibilities, but more info is needed on your specific test results. Sometimes pools are clearer at lower pH, so that could possibly be an issue, but more likely than not, the issue is something, organic or inorganic, that is suspended in your pool water. How it got there, or why it isn't being removed, I couldn't begin to guess yet.

4. Back To Top    #4

I will add the test results soon....I just wanted to add that there is "gurgling" when it comes out of my jets, making me think it's mechanical.
    1 & 1/2 HP hayward pump
    Hayward sand filter
    Aquarite SWG
    Sungrabber Solar Panels

5. Back To Top    #5

justawildchild,

You probably have an air leak somewhere between the inlet on your filter pump and the skimmer/main drain. The lid on the basket of the filter pump can also leak air into the system. Valves can also leak air.

Piping leaks on the suction side of your filter pump cause air leaks, whereas piping leaks on the pressure side of your filter pump cause water leaks.

Do the bubbles at the return happen all of the time or only at specific times or conditions? Sometimes you can troubleshoot and isolate where the pipe leak is by turning valves and seeing if there is any effect on the amount of bubbles.

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

6. Back To Top    #6
    If it's a gas that's the problem, you'll usually see more cloudiness near the return jets, and less further away. If it's a very even cloudiness, it's less likely to be caused by a gas.

7. Back To Top    #7

I think I may be dealing with 2 different problems.

1. The air leak.....it must be on the suction side because of the bubbles
    in the clear top of my pump

2. The cloudiness must be a chemical issue. The pool store near me has said
    the levels are all acceptable except for the ph was high. I added some PH down
    but have not re-tested yet.

I also have not had the whole pool completely vacuumed since I opened it, but I always
    vacuum to waste with the bigs cleanings.

I will be glad to get this solved to get my wife off my back for not having a clear pool.
    1 & 1/2 HP hayward pump
    Hayward sand filter
    Aquarite SWG
    Sungrabber Solar Panels

8. Back To Top    #8
    Do you have the numbers the pool store got when they tested? "The levels are all acceptable" could mean just about anything.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9
    Is the drain plug on the bottom of the pump, below the basket/clear lid section, is that all the way tight? If your pump is like mine....anyway, one year that wasn't all the way tight and air was being sucked in thru that plug. It's about 1/2 inch plug?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10
    If the pH is very high, this can sometimes cause cloudiness. Usually not a lot though...

11. Back To Top    #11

These are the numbers from the pool store.

Chlorine 5
    PH 7.6
    Total Alk 160
    Calcium 220
    Stabilizer 40
    Salt 3500

I noticed that they did not specify FC and TC

It is starting to clear, but still not crystal. Can see the shallow end and barely see
    the bottom of the deep end.
    1 & 1/2 HP hayward pump
    Hayward sand filter
    Aquarite SWG
    Sungrabber Solar Panels

12. Back To Top    #12
    If you bring your PH down just a little, say to 7.4, you can rule out calcium clouding. Your calcium saturation is quite reasonable, just above zero. If you bring it down just a little, so it is below zero, any possible calcium clouding will clear up.

13. Back To Top    #13
    Hey jawc,

Quote Originally Posted by justawildchild
    My pool water chemistry is fine according to the pool store test.
    Some of your test results are 'not fine' for a SWG. Looks like your CYA and TA are outside acceptable limits.

Here is a sticky that will help:“Water Balance Tips for a SWG” by Waterbear: category/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

When I was having a Calcium Hardness issue, I had a lot of that powdery stuff on my walls. I did brush it off, but I noticed there is still some there. Is this the problem? Do I need to brush again and use a clarifier? It is starting to clear....but nowhere near CRYSTAL!!!!
    1 & 1/2 HP hayward pump
    Hayward sand filter
    Aquarite SWG
    Sungrabber Solar Panels

15. Back To Top    #15

Re: Air bubbles at return jets ( and a cloudiness issue )

I am at a loss. My pool is still cloudy. I recently replaced the stand pipe in my filter and put all new sand in. (the center pipe was broken) My pool is not changing. It actually gets worse as I filter. Could it be my SWG which is only 1yr old? I have run the filter without the SWG on, but still noticing the cloudiness. Maybe there isn't just one thing wrong. I am going to go and get my water tested again. Any thoughts in the mean time?
    1 & 1/2 HP hayward pump
    Hayward sand filter
    Aquarite SWG
    Sungrabber Solar Panels

16. Back To Top    #16

Do you have a recent set of test results?

17. Back To Top    #17

Hey everyone

I still have the air bubble at my returns.......that is still on the table, but the most important thing was that my water is clear now.

I had to replace the stand pipe in my filter and I changed the sand during the process. After I changed my sand, I did a water test and my chlorine levels were way low. I brought that back up and it cleared up the pool. So now I have a clear pool.

Now back to the air bubbles. They do not seem to be causing any ill effects to the pool other than I know there is still something not right with the pool lines. But at least I can enjoy a clear pool that sparkles.
    1 & 1/2 HP hayward pump
    Hayward sand filter
    Aquarite SWG
    Sungrabber Solar Panels