Creek water in pool, do I need to refill?

Sep 14, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I was wondering if it is okay to try to salvage pool water that creek water has flooded into?

Background:
We bought a house with a pool around 7 years ago and I was so excited. It was a vinyl lined pool, which we didn't know much about. This was way before I knew about this site, and we were in the crazy pool store cycle of adding things, only to have to add other things to remove the "side effects". We spent what felt like a fortune on chemicals. Our property has an easement running through it and a creek that collects storm water running behind the property, including the pool. After all the chemicals and money spent, we had a huge storm, the creek backed up, and we had mocha-colored water in our pool. So we ended up dumping more money and chemicals into it to get it back to normal. Then the pump breaks and we have to buy a new one. So we bought one but essentially gave up and never installed it. We had an ugly swamp for years, that we just didn't know what to do with. In the meanwhile a subdivision was built behind our house, better drainage, and no problems since then, till now. Finally last year we decided to plaster the pool. I found this site, ordered the test kit, got a good month of use out of it, and closed it. This year we opened it to find half the water gone and refilled it before we found a crack in the center. With all the rain we have had, it took forever to fix it, but it was finally fixed about a week ago. I started filling it with the garden hose, and on the day it filled up, we had flood warnings, and sure enough the creek backed up again :hammer: and now we have creek water, not as muddy, but rather just a greenish mess.

With that test kit and this sites recommendations you can surely cure that creek water problem. After all, a lotta folks come here to clear a SWAMP! Follow the shocking process in pool school and sing out if we can help.

Wow, thanks for the speedy response :) I'm a bit worried that the creek water being run-off water, can be polluted. Should I be worried about that and can that be remedied with the steps listed in the sticky at the top of this thread (Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis)?

Glitter said:
Wow, thanks for the speedy response :) I'm a bit worried that the creek water being run-off water, can be polluted. Should I be worried about that and can that be remedied with the steps listed in the sticky at the top of this thread (Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis)?
Well, it more than likely will cure what ails the water :)
There is more info in Pool School. See the article on How to "The Shock Process".

Will you post a full set of test results for us? and a pic of the pool would be nice, too!

I didn't think to do a test, since I haven't added anything besides a floater full of pucks I had from our pool store days. I will get some CYA later today. Should I still do a full test now, or wait till I add CYA? I have some pictures I have attached.

Attachments

• Pool.JPG
    Pool.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Pool steps.JPG
    Pool steps.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 46
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.