New Intex Ultraframe, test kit arriving Mon, want to swim

Jun 20, 2013
Prescott, AZ
HI, we just got our intex 16' ultraframe filled. My test kit will be here monday. I have read the pool school on temporary pools quiet a few times.

Can I go ahead with 2 nights of Diclor and then swim while waiting on the kit?

Can we safely swim tomorrow? Do I need to add anything? so far I've added nothing.

Our SWG is arriving thurs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as our little ones are sooo excited about swimming ASAP.

Re: New Intex Ultraframe, test kit arriving Mon, want to swi

If the water is clear and has some chlorine, I saw swim! Dichlor is fine but you might want to add a starter amount by liquid CL based on your poolcalculator entry. I would say aim for 2-3 PPM CL. Assume you have zero FC each evening with no CYA and your heat. You will not be over chlorinating and you will be much less likely to have an algae issue.

Also, if you can, consider getting a sand filter for the pool. The 2650 seems most popular. You can get there with the cartridge but sand will make it easier.

Thanks for the quick response. So just to be clear, all I need to do until the test kit arrives is add the bleach in the amount that the pool caculator gives me (assuming no cya and putting in my area's daily temp) and run the pump? Just wait on the diclor till monday?

azmountains said:
Thanks for the quick response. So just to be clear, all I need to do until the test kit arrives is add the bleach in the amount that the pool caculator gives me (assuming no cya and putting in my area's daily temp) and run the pump? Just wait on the diclor till monday?
Daily temp has no effect on dosage. all that matters is size of pool.

Just use the pool calculator to see how much bleach or dichlor - your choice - you need to add to get from zero to 3 FC and add that every day.

Re: How to lower PH

Merged by moderator. Please keep your posts together and not in other random threads. Thanks, jblizzle

TEst response with new test kit, pool filled friday:

I used the everyday test in blue box

Cl 3-6 ppm
ph 8.2

What do I do now?

Thanks,

HI, I went out this morn to test with my kit to see if MA worked.

it was around noon and my test read
CL 1-2
PH 7.8

so I put in 16oz of bleach as the poolcaculator recommended, turned on the pump and then took the pool cover off and put on the new solar cover.

about an hour later my husband tested again from the other side of the pool and he got a reading of
CL .5-1
PH 7.5

does this sound right? if so, what's going on?

thanks, Rosie

should i test again from side of the pool i poured the bleach in or is just being used up that quickly. It is pretty sunny here today, btw.

As for the FC, it's tough to tell if you had much of FC loss when your tests showed 0.5-1.0 and 1.0-2.0. Best case... no loss, worst case your loss is 1.5 FC. A loss of 1.5 in an hour shows algae is consuming it OR the sun.

What is your CYA?
Did you measure for CC?
Why are your answers ranges?... did you test with strips?
How does the water look?

Sorry for all the questions.

I'm using the everyday test in the blue box in the k-1000 test kit. we haven't added any stabilizer yet as we just got the pool up and my husband needs to go find some in town. The pool looks clear to me.

I'm not sure how to measure for CC. is that one of the tests in the kit?
I thought I was giving my answer range. if not, well...I have no idea YET, how to:)

I apologize, this has been a lot to learn!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

No need to apologize. We are all learners once. This process is very different than the one the pool store recommends. That is why I don't go there very often. I drive past it everyday... but stop about 2 times per year.

To get accurate readings of your FC and CC, you need do the Chlorine test with the powder (FAS-DPD). See the instruction card.

Basically you add water to the 10ML, add one scoop using the little blue scoop, add drops until the solution goes from pink to clear. Then the the CC testing with the solution created by the FC test.

ok, I did it! I'm getting a slight hang of it.

FC-6ppm
CC-0

TA -120

And we have the salt and the CYA and we are ready to add it to the pool. SWG is here too.

Next step??

Am I good for a swim with the kids before adding the salt this evening?

Thanks!

azmountains said:
And we have the salt and the CYA and we are ready to add it to the pool. SWG is here too.

Next step??

Am I good for a swim with the kids before adding the salt this evening?

Thanks!
Yes. But be aware, without any CYA, 6 FC is pretty harsh! The CYA shoulda been hanging in there already. It won't hurt anything just dangling there. Try to keep the kids from playing too rough with it. :-D

Check out the highlighted post here.

So now I have another question i can't find the answer to through the search.

The intex SWG instructions say I need 1.3 pound of CYA, which we bought the hth kind at walmart, 96% pure.

How do I tell how much is 1.3 pounds. ? It is in a 4 pound canister. the pool caculator is doing the measurements differently so I don't quite get how the equate.

I'm guessing i should just put a portion in as per the recommendations on this site.

I saw a post where someone dissolved 1/2 pound in a bucket and put it in pool overnight. Otherwise, I'm wondering how one can put a pound in a sock and still swim in the pool while it is dissolving?

so, how do i measure a this stuff. nothing about it in the directions for SWG.

Thanks,

I put my Stabilizer in a pair of my daughters tights that she won't use next year or this last go I bought woman's nylons placed the amount I needed in them and let them dangle in front of the return. I did this Sunday. Next Sunday I will test the water to see what my reading is. This takes 1 week to register.

If I would have needed less than 4 pounds I would have weighed it, unless I needed 2 pounds and I would have eyed it. As you need a specific amount and you are new to learning your pool, I would weigh out the amount it requires and dose accordingly.

azmountains said:
So now I have another question i can't find the answer to through the search.

The intex SWG instructions say I need 1.3 pound of CYA, which we bought the hth kind at walmart, 96% pure.

How do I tell how much is 1.3 pounds. ? It is in a 4 pound canister. the pool caculator is doing the measurements differently so I don't quite get how the equate.

I'm guessing i should just put a portion in as per the recommendations on this site.

I saw a post where someone dissolved 1/2 pound in a bucket and put it in pool overnight. Otherwise, I'm wondering how one can put a pound in a sock and still swim in the pool while it is dissolving?

so, how do i measure a this stuff. nothing about it in the directions for SWG.

Thanks,
You're only aiming for 30 on the CYA? :scratch:

A kitchen scale is the ticket. Or borrow the scale at the post office, or the grocery store. Or, even easier...weight and volume are pretty close on CYA. 2½ kitchen measuring cups of the powder should be pretty darn close to 1.3 lbs. Whatever amount it's off won't be enough to read on the tester.

Pour it into a sock or a nylon, tie it off, and suspend it in front of the return or tie it to a floating toy and let it bob around.

well, the directions state CYA needed for start up. for my size pool 1.3 lbs. otherwise, it says they recommend CYA be at 1% of salt or 1lbs of salt = 1 lbs of CYA.

So for my pool, 125 lbs of salt, 1.3 lbs of CYA.

Seems at odds with Pool caculator.

What would you recommend?

Trust the recommendations here.

The bottle instructions are assuming lots of things they don't know about you, your pool or your needs. This is probably true of all chemicals sold in pool stores.

We are making recommendations based on your test results, your pool and your needs... and the combined knowledge of the BBB process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.