Trouble with Hayward weir

May 6, 2012
Peoria, IL
I recently installed a Hayward skimmer on my Intex pool. It works great while the pump is on, but when it's off, the weir door does not float. It just stays at the bottom. And even if it did float, there does not seem to be anything to stop it from opening into the pool. Seems stupid to me. I thought that the weir was supposed float up when the pump is off and stay shut to keep debris from floating back into the pool. The instructions make no mention of any sort of stopper. There are no tabs or stoppers or anything whatsoever on on either the weir or the skimmer itself to keep the weir from opening into the pool. And even if there were, the weir doesn't even float in the first place. The weir simply snaps into two holes on either side and swings both ways. It just seems very poorly designed. Am I missing something really obvious or is this how all skimmers are? The skimmer I have is the Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim.

Nope, there is no foam on it. Was I supposed to attach it? Because no such foam was even included with it and the instructions make no mention of it either. I suppose I could glue some styrofoam to it. Would that work? And then, how do I stop it from opening into the pool? Should I glue a piece of plastic to the outside of the faceplate maybe?

It looks as if there's some sort of "holder" on the back of the weir for the foam, but I'm not sure. And like I said, no such foam was included or mentioned in the manual. Plus, all the pics in the instructions do not show any foam on it. I glued some Styrofoam to the back and now it seems to float, but that still doesn't solve the problem of it swinging into the pool. I guess I can rig something up, but I don't see why I should have to do this in the first place or how it got such high reviews on Amazon given this flaw. How does a weir typically stop from swinging into the pool?

My Aqua Leader wide mouth has a stop for the weir if I use the OEM weir, the pool also had a Hayward weir in the pool box and it doesn't stop. I prefer the OEM one after I replaced the foam. Although it clanks a little with wave action when the pump is off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, my water level is about halfway up the skimmer. Here's a picture. With the Styrofoam I glued to it, the weir will eventually float to this position when the pump is off. Sounds like I'll be getting a new skimmer next summer.

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 54
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.