What is the difference between 2g, 3G, 5g LEDs

I did a few searches and didn't find a good explanation. My **guess** is that it is in reference to the generation of the LED (e.g., 2nd generation, 3rd generation, etc.). Similar thing happened when compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) came out. First generation had magnetic ballasts and were comparatively heavy for their size. Electronic ballasts eventually replaced the magnetic ones and light output per watt increased while energy usage dropped. Also the lights became lighter and smaller which allowed more flexibility in constructing different designs.

You have got me curious, so I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and see if someone comes up with a better answer.

It looks like the 2g, 3g, 5g refers to the generation of the manufacturer's product. For example, J&J makes Color Splash 2g and Color Splash 3g bulbs. The Color Splash 3g has some technical advancements over the Color Splash 2g (and is pricier), but the comparison of "g" doesn't make sense when you go across brands. In other words, one brand's "3g" may be the same as another's "5g". I only see J&J and Pentair using these kinds of terms for their bulbs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.