120v/220v SWG COntroller and timer

May 31, 2013
Hi All,
I am looking to wire a 220v pentair pool pump to a Intermatic ET8000 timer.
In the directions there are a number of options and I am looking to wire the ET8215 DPST Option set for SImultaneous throw. But as this is a SW Pool I also have a Mineral Springs MS10 controller.

After looking at the manual for the ET8215 and various forums and recommendations I realize that I need to connect both the Pump and the MS10 Controller to the LOAD side of Timer for safety reasons. Based on that I said ok fair enough I will just convert the MS10 from 110v mode to 220V mode... The manual for the MS10 says there are a couple simple jumpers to adjust to set for correct voltage feed.. After opening up the MS10 however I discover no available jumper or spade lugs or screw lugs to allow me to make the voltage change. In essence the Manual and what you will see in the link below are 2 different things.... Looking for guidance or options..

I have one notion to consider which could be to use just one of the poles on the load of the timer to also power the MS10 in 110v mode.. I would much prefer to balance the draw across both poles.. if I cannot get the MS10 to switch to 220v mode. I am not sure what to do.. thoughts welcome..

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/dirkr ... pool%20SWG

If you look at page 11 of the manual, you'll see the two different voltage wiring diagrams. You have to remove one of the jumpers, and move the other one to the center two terminals, then the power goes to the outside terminals.

Hi Rambler, Thanks for the feedback. I had seen that and that was exactly what I was going to do.. until I opened the MS10 controller front panel and saw that there are no other terminals.. Picture of said connectors is in the link I posted in my initial post. I simply dont know if this is an autosensing version of a power feed or if it is locked into 120V mode..

THoughts??

Yep Jason.. that is my conundrum.. manual has one reflection of wiring with terminals etc and the box has no jumpers or the like... cannot tell if it is autosensing.. no label reflecting that. no jumpers to use (and since it would be ac voltage I dont think any little jumpers are rated for the load.d. ..

So I wonder as far as alternatives are concerned.. What if I left the MS10 in 110v Mode (not like I can change it anyway) and wired the hot to one of the Load lugs of the timer and wired the neutral to the Neutral buss and the ground to the Ground buss.. the only irregularity would be a load delta between the 2 poles.. The dpst breaker in the panel is a 15Amp..Thoughts on whether that load delta between poles would be an issue?

Jason, Thanks.

Electricity around a pool is always worrisome. The MS10 panel is tied to a GFCI Outlet tied to its own 15A spst breaker. I think the rational there is that the AC plug as it is must be plugged into a GFCI outlet.. If it was hard wired in then the risk of plugging unplugging around a pool is eliminated which is why the GFCI is there in the first place.. I dont expect much but I plan on sending a note to BIOGUARD to ask what the options are for the panel as thier info is inaccurate at best. Any other thoughts suggestions are welcome.

I have sent 5 separate notes to BIOGUARD regarding the wiring of the MS10 controller.... Not one response to any of the notes.... SO what i intend to do is hard wire the black wire to one of the Load poles and then the white wire to the neutral Buss and Ground to the Ground Buss.. The lack of response other than an auto-response bot is disappointing. Any other thoughts???

Matt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.