New pool need advice

Jul 5, 2013
Hi, I bought a house this year that has an inground vinyl kidney shaped pool. My estimates online show it to be about 17000 gallons (18x30 kidney shape)

I've read the pool school to get familiar with some of the terms but I want to make sure that my pool is tested and balanced fine.

These are my test measurements using a Taylor Test kit:
Total alkalinity - 100
pH 7.4
calcium hardness -200
free chlorine - 4.0
combined chlorine - 0
stabilizer - 60

Water looks clear; looks like there may be a tiny bit of algae at the bottom ... I'm not sure

What do I need to do to make the pool safe/swimmable for my kids?

Thank you,
Judy

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Your FC number of 4 ppm is a little low for a CYA (stabilizer) level of 60 ppm. The minimum maintenance FC for that CYA is 5. Other numbers look fine.

Which Taylor test kit do you have? You will need one with the FAS-DPD chlorine test (uses a powder plus a liquid reagent). This is different than the more common DPD chlorine test. Chlorine is depleted each day, especially during the swim season. Therefore, you must test and replenish daily to stay within the Recommended range for your CYA. If you do not have the FAS-DPD chlorine test, I would suggest investing in either the single item FAS-DPD test (available here: http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.html) or getting one of the Recommended Test Kits.

boomergirl said:
Water looks clear; looks like there may be a tiny bit of algae at the bottom ... I'm not sure
You can try running an Overnight FC Loss Test. But again, this is best done using the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Also, if you can post a picture of what you suspect to be algae, that would help us as well.

Aside from testing, it is a good idea to brush the pool surface occasionally, especially where you see the green spots. All pools have circulation "low spots" and the brushing will agitate dirt so it gets suspended within the water and enhance the chances of it being captured by the filter. It will also expose any spotty algae to the chlorine.

A couple of things to help us help you...
  • 1. Please add to your profile the state and nearest city in which you live. Don’t need specific town, nearest major city is fine. Your climate is important to the advice you receive. By doing this, it will appear in all your posts without you having to enter it each time.
    2. Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different.
Here's how to do both of the above: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.

I am located near Toronto. I attached a picture of what appears to be algae that accumulates at the bottom along with grass or bugs that might have fell in. Not much but just not sure what type.

Attachments

• 20130706_075859 (Large).jpg
    20130706_075859 (Large).jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 38
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.