Emptying and refilling vinyl lined doughboy

golfinglenn

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2013
Springfield, OR
I have a vinyl lined doughboy pool that is oval and 6000 gallons and currently using baquacil. I am converting to chlorine and plan on emptying the pool, cleaning as I go, and then refilling it right away. I have a 1" pvc line dedicated to the pool for filling so it will fill rather quickly compared to a garden hose. Am I safe to just empty it using the vacuum hose and pumping to waste and then filling right away or do I risk damaging the liner exposing it to sunlight (suppose to be 85 and sunny tomorrow). I am guessing it is completely okay, but better safe than sorry by asking here first.

Thanks,

Glenn

I did it with mine in similar weather. I used a rental "trash" pump from HomeDepot and had it done in less time than the minimum rental including drive time and clean-up, 10K gallons. It was about $40 with tax and hoses and meant I was not worried about injuring my pump. Drop it into the pool, plug it in... done.

Don't let it sit too long empty, support the walls if it is breezy.

If you did the drain early, the fill is likely to occur early afternoon.

So I shouldn't have to worry about the liner shrinking or anything if I do this the same day? I have just read some warnings on here about emptying vinyl lined pools and don't want to mess this liner up, can't afford to replace it (have no idea what that would cost, but know it wouldn't be cheap lol).

Thanks,

Glenn

If you want to minimize risk, do it in dark/low light times of the day. Anytime you drain and fill you have risk but the faster drain and fill the better. I think the HomeDepot pump was 50 GPM so 6K g is pretty quick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.