second season with pool, first time with algae and testing

cyw95

Aug 15, 2012
[attachment=1:pbc66f3p]IMG_0403[1].JPG[/attachment:pbc66f3p] these are my filter/pump and my SWG

intex ultraframe 16X48 SWG Ottawa Ontario (hope I am doing this right)

all was well til yesterday when I developed a bloom of green algae along the curved bottom of walls.

I went out got bleach, 2 way test kit, trichlor puck and floater.
10 am FC 0
ph 7.6
Brushed walls and added 723 mil of bleach and puck in floater. reading 2 hours later at noon FC 2.5 Ph 7.8 brushed again (been running filter pump all day swg turned off)
3pm FC 0 ph 7.6
do I shock again?
do I turn on SWG tonight? (it is on timer)
will the pool store have a cya test kit?
my vac broke and all the stores within walking distance have Crud stuff hence the 3 way test kit til tomorrow when I can go to pool store and get better. And no I am not gonna get pulled into their Darn so no worries there just want better stuff than walmart sells any suggestions on good vacs for me? and nothing over 200 please!! If it is one that attaches to pump how do I do that? the one we had was the one you attach to your hose. I have pics of pool too but hard to see water with glare. Oh - full sun from 11am to 6pm most days. SWG runs 4 hours nightly weather been humid around 25-29 with humidex of 33-37

any opinions offerings of what to do to get it back to great is appreciated.

last q - backwashing? I need to do this with a cartridge filter or no?

Attachments

• IMG_0403[1].JPG
    IMG_0403[1].JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0404[1].JPG
    IMG_0404[1].JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 41
Re: second season with pool, first time with algae and testi

Putting floaters in your pool without knowing your CYA level is, well, "brave". ;)

I would say first begin by reading how to perform the shock process. Adding a product to the pool does not a "shock" make.
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

You are going to be in for a battle, and knowing how to perform the process, AND having the ability to properly test your water during the process are going to be vital. Your 3 way test kit isn't going to cut it. You are going to have to accurately know your CYA level, and you are going to need a test kit that will go over 5 ppm FC.
I'm sure after 7 posts you've heard of the TF-100, I think one might be in your future.

Filter backwash... in my mind this is when you take the cartridge out and wash it.

As for you comment about "Should I shock the pool again?". "Shocking the pool" is a process. "Shock" is a bag of chemicals most of us here do not use. The shocking process is where you keep the Free Chlorine (FC) levels at the shock level for your CYA until your testing shows you have killed the algae.

I think of shocking the pool in the same was as passing a car on the road. You need to keep your passing speed high until you pass the other car and see them in your rear view mirror. In a pool, you need to keep your FC (Passing speed) up until you fully kill the algae and your test (mirror) confirms it.

ty for your reply's I am sure I will be getting the test kit soon.

Hubby will be reading pool school this wknd as he is the "pool boy" so to speak. He will be checking the cell on the SWG as we have not got any low level signals in the pat couple days, even with the sunshine. So it may be on its way out.

we did have kids in it the past couple days so wondering if one of them "used " the pool ahem IYKWIM

brave, thats a nice way to put it, thanks,

worst case scenario with me is I empty it, scrub it down and start all over, at least pool salt is on sale this week, not sure how long to get new cell tho!

When you get your test kit, test the water coming right out of the return with the SWG on, see if it is higher FC than at the back of the pool. Also, on mine, when the SWG is running, I get bubbles out the return. When it's off, I have none.

FYI, Solar Salt at Home Depot/Lowes is typically cheaper than the salt at the pool store, and is exactly the same thing. I had to buy 1300 lbs of the stuff when I converted! It's just under $4 for 40 lbs.

home depot here does not do pool stuff walmart, canadian tire and costco are my only other options at 8 bucks a bag.

swg when on we do get bubbles coming out. right now I have non as it is off.

This is the only time I have been responsible for the pool as hubby is working double shifts this week. It is also the first week we have had a lot of sunshine after a long period of rain ( 3 weeks worth)

I will test water coming out of SWG, but in the meantime I do add more bleach correct?

It isn't pool stuff. It's for water softeners. But, it's the same thing, just costs less.

Sounds like your SWG is working.

Keep FC up!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.