How can I suspend my pool for two weeks while on vacation?

Apr 26, 2013
I am going on vacation for two weeks and unless i find someone to come take care of it the pool, it will not be touched for two weeks. Is there anything that i can do to minimize the amount of work that will be required when i come back to get my pool back to normal?

Re: How can I suspend my pool for two weeks while on vacatio

I used a dichlor floater for my 8 day trip but I knew my CYA was low. The 4 pound floater lasted about 1 week in my 10K gallon pool but a larger floater or two of them might last two weeks. I did float it for the week before but based on the chart on the bottle, it never made enough CL each day. I used all the "holes" and it was fine for 8 days.

I did not use a cover, it was hot most days and pool was lightly used. My low CYA meant I lost most of CL due to the sun.

Chlorine usage on my pool goes way down with the solar cover on. I could probably go two weeks with pucks in a floater and the solar cover on. My pool gets a lot of shade so I normally don't have a high CYA level, and can easily handle more CYA.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not... It's one I have been contemplating implementing this fall when I close...

Ready?

OK...

I'm thinking about chucking a couple gallon jugs of bleach in the pool, fully sealed with a couple nail holes poked in them... Thinking that the nail holes would allow a gradual release of bleach in to the pool with little or no maintenance.

I am HORRIBLE at keeping up on maintenance over the winter. I don't have a cover (15,000 gal in ground plaster), and I usually let it go to swamp over the winter. Last fall I had to do some plaster work, so I had fresh water with no CYA. So, I tossed some pucks in a floater... didn't put on my solar cover, and the water remained clear all winter. Took me about an hour vs. a week to open.

This year, I'm not going to use pucks for fear of overshooting my CYA, so I'm considering doing the bleach jug trick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.