Pump runs, but will not circulate water

Jul 26, 2011
What is a fairly new pump (< 1 year old) has out of the blue stopped circulating the water unless I turn on the blower for a second to "get it going". The pump is primed and full of water. There are no air bubbles in the pump basket. Here is what happens:

1. I turn the pump on, small bubbles come out 1 or 2 jets only.
2. The pump continues to run, still only small bubbles from 1 or 2 jets.
3. I turn the blower on for a half a second and then off.
4. Now the pump is working to it's full potential circulating the water from all the jets.

This is an inground spa. The PSI on my filter is right at where it has always been. I do not suspect an air leak from the filter or pump. What is causing this?

I think you are simply priming the venturi air pipe with the blower pulse so you are seeing the air bubbles after that. But before you did that, are you sure there is no water coming out of the jets? Yes there is no air but there still may be water coming out of the jets it is just hard to see it without the air bubbles. You need to put your hand in front of the jet return to feel the water.

That could be due to a slight change in the flow rate from maybe the filter being dirty.

What type of filter do you have and is the pressure higher than when it was last cleaned?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.