10 years of mismanaged pool ownership

Jul 5, 2013
Hello, I live in North Texas but moved here from NYC so did not have a lot of experience with pools much less caring for one. My house was a foreclosure with zero information about the pool. I've had tons of issues with the pool over the years, mostly fighting yellow algae. I had pool guys here many times and they never mentioned that the pump & filter I had were way too small for my pool and that was how pool builders got people to afford pools, who shouldn't be building one

When the pump died on me the pool guy who came to repair it told me it was too small and I replaced it with a better pump and a larger cartridge filter as well. The pool was doing really well, much better with better equipment but last summer I had a combination of things happen that have had me fighting a green swamp. I've been doing all kinds of things, and now after reading a lot on this site see how wrong I am, LOL. Last night I put in 12 large bottle of Walmart 8% bleach & ran it all night, and the green is far lighter today. I am going to clean the filter again, buy some more bleach, and hope to see the bottom again to find whatever is down there. I also intend to invest in a test kit as soon as I can afford one.

Being this is July in TX my nephews are so unhappy with me & my lack of a clean usable pool, so I am going to follow the advice here and hope for the best.

My pool is basically an inground rectangle with a little half circle at each end. It's about 12k gallons and maybe around 12 x 24. I've got a Hayward pump & 4 cartridge filter.

Thank you moderators. I ran out to Walmart and bought bleach and at midnight put it into the pool. By around 7 AM the pool was markedly improved, and by noon it was super improved. I've been fighting since last summer and I've made a major improvement already. I've got some 10% liquid chlorine tonight, I've asked at the pool stores for liquid chlorine and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. I found it tonight at Tom Thumb! . I understand I need the test kit and have to keep on top of it now, but I've got a terrible back and cleaning the filter 3X a day trying to reduce the green was killing me, so what this site says to do is so much better! I'm happy that this site is here, that I found it, and I that I read & followed the advice here. I've read all the pool school and printed a lot of stuff out, so I can continue the RIGHT way. What a relief! Thank you.

I am glad you are getting started on the right path, although without a trust worthy set of test numbers there is only so much we can do to help, and it also without one of the suggested test kits it makes it hard to know when you are done shocking, as even clear water can still hide low levels of algae which will consume more chlorine than a balanced pool should, and will be waiting for a chance to spring back into action the moment the FC levels drop too low for your CYA level.

Ike