I am having a hard time getting the TA lowered to 100

May 29, 2013
Swisher, Iowa
I got my TA to 150ish and lowered my ph to 7.0 but I am having a hard time getting the TA lowered to 100 so I can add the Borax. I have the jets spraying to break the water and the kids played in it all day but the TA stays steady at 150 or 160. Can I still add the Borax and MA or should I wait and keep working at the TA to get it down to 100. I am afraid to let the PH get to low with the kids swimming.

Very slowly, i had it down to 7.0 yesterday the 4th and had a ton of swimmers and it only went up to 7.2 so I lowered it back to 7.0 this morning with MA and let the jets run, the kids are still sleeping otherwise they would be in the pool already to start the splash down. Ok I will just go slow and let it work its way down, then add the borax and MA later. Guess I am just excited to try it and see the results of the water. Right now the water is clear, this morning after the swim party it was slighty cloudy and took 68 oz of bleach per the readings and calculator, it was down to 0.5 cl this morning, probly should have hit it last night before I went to bed but it had been a pretty good 4th celebration and I was ready for bed :whoot: :cheers: :sleep:

The target for lowering TA is to bring pH down to 7.2. So you will not need to lower it further if you are at 7.2.

The main benefit with borates is that it helps control pH drift. It sounds to me like you have stable pH already. I sure wish I did! I wouldn't worry about getting the borates in there in a hurry if your pH is stable.

This is weird because I could not find the (So you want Borates) thread in the forum (Didnt know where it was located) So I googled the tag borates in pool and it came up with the (So you want borates) Thread, I posted this info there as a reply thinking nothing of it, and noting that it was in chemistry 201, closed the browser and went to the TFP web site and it had your response to me in the (So you want borates) but none of my posts. It created it in a seperate post. Strange. Anyways. Thanks for the advice on this. I will keep working on lowering the TA. Just tested the water a min ago and the PH is 7.2 . its a much slower process with the pool then it was with the spa.

your pool is 4 times the size of mine so I would imagine it would be important to keep all your levels from drifting because of the amount of chem you would need to adjust it. Here I am complaining about a my TA levels not dropping fast enough. LOL

Can you imagine how much chlorinator (bleach, cal hypo) I had to buy to go through the 2 week shock process when I bought the house? :)

(Used cal hypo because there was almost no CH in the pool)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.