Sand does not have to be replaced?

shane4

Jul 4, 2013
Ontario Canada
Just read the post on rinsing sand and was wondering how and where does the garden hose water go? If I do this cleaning do I need to set the cap dial to backwash and then the hose water will exit that way? Or am I suppose to remove the drain cap at the bottom of the sand tank?

A service tech who was at my house recently (assesing a slipping liner) told me sand should be replaced periodically. But I have no clear answer as to when I know it is time. So just to confirm, sand does not have to be replaced? If so, how would I know?

:wink:

Re: How often to change sand in sand filter

I replaced my sand last year because my filter broke (broken laterals). Other than that reason, I would not have replaced it. It was installed in 89.

When rinsing sand, the water simply overflows out of the filter and onto the ground. Do not remove the drain plug when doing this. You want the overflow to go up, not down.

It is a common misconception in the pool industry that replacing sand is a good idea. I guess it is for the people who sell you sand or get hired to do the work for you.

The only time you need to replace sand is when it has become clumped so badly that you can not break the clumps up by hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.