Need advice/opinions

May 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hi guys :)

I posted something to this effect a little while back (along with another issue) but didn't get many responses in terms of this particular question and I'm looking for advice/suggestions.

When initially coming on this awesome site, we were using chlorine tablets through our chlorinator. After reading on TFP, I had my husband shut off the chlorinator completely and use liquid chlorine. At that time, I didn't even think of how many tablets were remaining in the chlorinator when he shut it off, and I honestly didn't want him retrieving them from there at that time because they would have been all wet and difficult to remove, not thinking about them sitting in there in the heat, dry all summer!

Now, it's probably been about a month since we've shut the chlorinator off, still with the tablets in there. My dilemma is what do we do now? The pool is balanced so nicely right now with the perfect amount of CYA that I am afraid to let even the small amount of tablets we have in there run just to get rid of them. (I worry that the heat is heating them up in the chlorinator to where it can explode if opened - I'm a total worry wart - is this thinking even rational?)

Anyway, do I tell my husband to try to open the chlorinator and remove them by hand (or tool)... is that even safe since there hasn't been any water flowing over them? OR, would you just turn it back on until they are entirely dissipated, risking your CYA level increasing a little? I think there are probably about 5 or so in there right now so I can't imagine it will increase that much. Does anyone know how much the CYA will increase in a 25,000 galloon pool if there are about 5 tablets?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Butterfly said:
There is an "Effects of Adding Chemicals" near the bottom of the PoolCalculator. Remember to add your pool gallons at the top :wink:

What is the CYA level now?

Oh, that's right! I'm just not sure how many ounces to put in the calculator for trichlor since I don't know exactly how many tablets are in there.

CYA at 40.

I assumed you were talking about the 3" tablets. They are around 7-8 ounces each. My pool is just a little bigger than yours and each tablet raises my CYA 1ppm so yours would be just a bit more than that. Just plug in the numbers to the pool calculator to be sure.

Bluechip said:
I assumed you were talking about the 3" tablets. They are around 7-8 ounces each. My pool is just a little bigger than yours and each tablet raises my CYA 1ppm so yours would be just a bit more than that. Just plug in the numbers to the pool calculator to be sure.

Yes, you're right on. Just checked the calculator. That would bring my CYA to the higher level of norm.

I really don't want any more CYA in the pool and we do plan to go on vacation for a weekend at the end of August in which we were going to use some tablets then so that would put even more CYA in if we do turn the chlorinator on now as well. I know how difficult it is to remove CYA from the pool and it's really not an option.

What would you guys do? Would you just try to remove them manually from the chlorinator instead to avoid that, or would you risk increasing the CYA and turn the chlorinator on? I don't like the thought that the tablets are sitting in there in the heat and it's going to start getting pretty hot and sunny this week. I feel like we have to do something. I don't know. I certainly don't want to risk any danger opening the chlorinator, but there may not be any danger in doing so. Can't confirm that either way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.