Turn SWG off while shocking?

Jun 13, 2013
I'm new (one month) to SWG's. I saw it in one of the discussions that you should turn the SWG off while in shocking process. If so, for how long? With all this rain that we've been having in the southeast, the algae caught up and I'm trying to supershock the pool back to health, but it can't overcome it at this point yet (shocked 2 days in a row already) and only turned off the SWG at night for about 7 hours.

Thanks to everyone on this awesome forum!

Test results after shocking last night (from aquachek test strip and I can't tell the slight differences in tints from the drop tests):
TH 250
CC 10 was highest strip will go
FC 10 was highest strip will go
pH 7.8
TA 120
CYA 100

It's been 8 hours and I just turned SWG back on.

Your results tell the story of why we advocate buying a good test kit. With the FAS-DPD chlorine test, you don't "match colors", and you know exactly what your FC and CC levels are.

Your CYA is also high, which leads you to the algae problem. A CYA reading of 100 commonly means you are higher than that. What are you chlorinating your pool with, normally? And what is in the "shock" product you are using? If it is dichloroisocyanurate, you are adding to the CYA problem. You will need to drain your pool by 1/3 at least once, and test with a liquid black dot test. See Pool School for more information.

Per test kit: Check here for what we mean. You can buy from there, or check Amazon for the Taylor K-2006. Best bang for the buck is through Tftestkits.net, with the TF-100, and XL option.

Another thing about test strips. They are very inaccurate. Reason this is so, is the reagents on the strips go bad fairly quickly. Quite often the strips are outdated even while sitting on the store shelves.

If you want a clear, clean pool, you need to read Pool School, and learn the how as well as the why of the system of pool care we advocate. It works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.