Constantly chasing PH and TA

Nov 7, 2010
I have the same issue as this topic. I do use a waterfall at times, but am constantly chasing PH and TA. My TA drifts down to 40 every week, I stopped raising it as much per another threads recommendation. I used to push it to 90/100, now I just keep it 40-60, but I still fight the PH always at the top of my color scale (8.0 +) I have a 2 yr old 16k ga. plaster pool and add a qu of MA every other day with my bleach. It keeps everything in check but seems like a TON of acid every month. Someone wrote to ignore PH and focus on TA, I've also see it the other way around, what would you recommend?

What chemicals do you add to the pool regularly, in addition to MA?

You don't want TA below about 60 without borates, or 40 if you have borates between 30 and 50. Likewise, you don't want PH above about 7.8. That means paying attention to both to at least some extent.

You need to look at both pH and TA but, of the two, I would first make sure pH is in range. If adding MA to get pH in range causes TA to drop below 60, you can add baking soda to raise the TA. Fortunately, baking soda has a very small impact on pH. It is often best to make TA adjustments in a couple of steps, testing the water after each one.

JasonLion said:
Restating Jason's question for emphasis as it can have an impact on your situation.

JasonLion said:
You don't want TA below about 60 without borates, or 40 if you have borates between 30 and 50. Likewise, you don't want PH above about 7.8. That means paying attention to both to at least some extent.

All I have ever had to put in is bleach, baking soda and acid (a bit of cya also). I've never looked at boaates, perhaps I should! It seems I correct high ph with acid, and that drives the TA down quickly. I kick it back up with BS, which brings the pH back up, more acid...blahh bllahh.

It isn't the baking soda raising the PH, at least not directly. However, it might be doing so indirectly if the water is getting aerated. TA above 40 plus aeration means the PH will go up, how quickly depending on how high TA is and how much aeration there is. Common sources of aeration include waterfalls, fountains, negative edges, etc.

If you have a fair amount of aeration, try adding borates and letting TA go down to 40. That should at least help if not resolve the problem.

If you are unaware of any aeration, this is getting mysterious.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.