Filter and Pump install

Wildcat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I want a new filter and pump. Cannot do it myself, not the right tools or skill set. So I get a quote from Leslies. Prices for the equipment are outrageous. But they say they price match. But they only price match to either their website or other local brick and mortar stores. But on line they match on
line prices. So I call the local store I got a quote from and they will not match online pricing, except for their own. So I offer to buy the equipment on line and they can install it. Nope, cannot install other companies equipment. The difference is substantial, $1000 for pump and motor. Just want to call out Leslies as overpriced and as having convoluted price matching policies. If they are the biggest then they get the best price from the manufacturers and yet charge more, a lot more. A $1000 more on a $2500 purchase.
Finding a local installer.

Most areas have a large number of local installers to choose from. Picking an independent is usually better than working with a large chain. Independents are occasionally dishonest, which is much less true of chains. But aside from the occasional bad apple, the average independent is better than even the better chain stores.

Oh nooooooooo! Was still getting prices on equipment and the pump fails today. Trying an independent, he is pushing StaRite and Pentair over Hayward. Starite is the noisy brand I have now.And he said Pentair and Starite are same brand. He is also suggesting 3/4 hp single or dual speed over variable. I want the best price on what I get but I am not adverse to spending more if VS works better and more efficient electric wise. I have read here that a VS with 2-3 hp is overkill for my 12000 gal pool with pop ups and waterfall.

He also says no need to go 425 sq ft, 300 is plenty while TFP says bigger is better.

Please help on equipment while I try to figure out how to my pool from turning green while I get thsi sorted out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.